Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Track With Our Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 10.04 Tests

Phoronix: On Track With Our Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 10.04 Tests

Since early November when we shared that the Phoronix Test Suite would be ported to Windows 7 we have been working it into a state where it's now possible to compare the performance of Windows vs. Linux and also Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenSolaris too. Last month we then shared we were beginning to prepare for a Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS comparison with a great number of tests...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"This week we then shared earlier this week when launching Phoronix Test Suite "Lyngen" 2.6 Beta 1 that our major operating system comparison was on track to be complete and published by next week."

This sentence almost broke my brain

Comment

I'm sure that, after you will publish the results, people will ask for more tests (to explain some unexpected results). Will you follow up on this?

Comment

Originally posted by karl View Post
        I'm sure that, after you will publish the results, people will ask for more tests (to explain some unexpected results). Will you follow up on this?
        Depending upon the requests and interest levels of the article and requests and who the request is made by.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Depending upon the requests and interest levels of the article and requests and who the request is made by.
          Can't wait to see those results. I'm personally very interested in CPU and hard drive results. ntfs has always been a big trouble for me. killing disks and slow. I didn't used 7 so I hope I'll get some surprises here.
          Of course gpu scores are always great to compare... drivers Linux/Windows tests would be awesome too. perhaps NVIDIA/ATI could also be interested in this comparison.

Comment

Ok, let's start the bets! I think Windows overall is faster, when you benchmark it, due really optimized software. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
              Ok, let's start the bets! I think Windows overall is faster, when you benchmark it, due really optimized software. Any thoughts?
              Certainly MSVC and ICC beat gcc most of the time, but I think Windows will still lose pretty badly in everything non-gaming.
              Phoronix tests throughput and Windows 7 aint optimized for that while Linux is basically written as server-os (and doesnt give a damn if everything is unresponsive in favour of better aggregate performance). Would probably be different if a server flavour of Windows would be tested

Comment

Working...
              X