• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI no picture

Please help me with the HDMI interface!

My hardware is:
    motherboard: ASUS M2A-VM with 690G chipset
    lcd tv: Toshiba XF350 - 40 inches.

I want to make X using my Toshiba tv through the HDMI interface. The console text is shown through the HDMI interface on the Tv with no problem. At the moment I start the X server the tv screen gets blue.
    I see no errors in the Xorg.log. if I attach my CRT monitor (and restart the X server) it works like a charm.
    I tried to run:
    aticonfig --query-connectortype=tmds2
    and reliably receive 'HDMI A' every time.

Here is my xorg.conf
    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "dri"
    Load "v4l"
    Load "ddc"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "TOSHIBA-TV"
    VendorName "Toshiba"
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "fglrx"
    VendorName "ATI"
    BoardName "ATI X1200 IGP"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    Option "EnableMonitor" "tmds2"
    BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor "TOSHIBA-TV"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1920x1080" "1280x720" "720x576" "1280x720" "1280x768" "800x600" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1920x1080" "1280x720" "720x576" "1280x720" "1280x768" "800x600" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    The log file is very long. Any idea how to post it!?

thanks in advance

You can use pastebin http://www.pastebin.ca to put up the log. It lets you copy a large hunk of text and then will display it as a web page for a month.

One minor thing is that I don't think you should have VideoOverlay enabled in your conf file. Don't think that's the problem though...

Bigger issue is that you have a lot of "stuff" in your conf file that I doubt is needed. Anyways, let's look at the log first.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      You can use pastebin http://www.pastebin.ca to put up the log. It lets you copy a large hunk of text and then will display it as a web page for a month.

One minor thing is that I don't think you should have VideoOverlay enabled in your conf file. Don't think that's the problem though...

Bigger issue is that you have a lot of "stuff" in your conf file that I doubt is needed. Anyways, let's look at the log first.
      Here is my log dile:

You are right about the extra stuff in the conf file. I started with the simplest conf file and result was the same.

Comment

Here is my log file:

I started with the simplest conf file and then started to add stuff hoping for better results.

Comment

xorg.0.log

Here is my log file:
          http://www.pastebin.ca/1296248

I started with the simplest conf file and then started adding stuff hoping for better results.

Comment

xorg log file

Here is my log file:
            http://www.pastebin.ca/1296248

I started with the simplest conf file and then started adding stuff hoping for better results.

Comment

I didn't see any obvious problems in the log file, although I also couldn't tell which mode the driver picked. Can you bring up a menu on your TV and see if you can see what resolution and refresh rate is being sent out ?

Did you run the "aticonfig initial" command (that's not the right syntax, going from memory) after installing the driver ?
              Test signature

Comment

custom modlines

I didn't see any obvious problems in the log file, although I also couldn't tell which mode the driver picked. Can you bring up a menu on your TV and see if you can see what resolution and refresh rate is being sent out ?
                No, the tv does not have such an option.
                I tried different modes, such as:
                SubSection "Display"
                # Modes "1920x1080@60"
                Modes "1280x720@50"
                EndSubSection
                according to the tv documentation the first must be 1080p and second 720i. I also tried 720p - "1280x720@60" but the result as always is blue screen with no error reported in the log

Did you run the "aticonfig initial" command (that's not the right syntax, going from memory) after installing the driver ?
                no, I wrote the config on hand.

Comment

OK, I'm pretty sure you need to run the aticonfig command anyways; check the installation notes for details. The driver gets most of its runtime info from a separate database called amdpcsdb, not from the config file -- so that database needs to be properly initialized before running the driver.
                  Test signature

Comment

Well, could you fix the problem, since I have the same problem since I connected my new 1080p-monitor using a hdmi-cable... no errors in Xlog but there is no picture and x restarts in filesafe mode

Comment

Working...
                    X