Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    i Personaly know more linux users than macos users.

Germanys TOP IT webside HEISE.de statistic show linux has up to 30% market share.
    In Europe this is true. Only Americans use Macos, but USA has half Europe's population so they help tremendously the improvement of Apple's stats.
    Also, Germany has good tradition in Linux.

I, personally, know just 3 macos users (one of them dual boots with Linux) and dozen's of Linux ones.

Comment

Buying Rage and Doom4

I would really like to see Linux grow in popularity and become real competition for Microsoft. However, I do like playing the latest and greatest video games.

To do my small part to help Linux gain support I will do the following for each of these games (Rage and Doom4):
      If there is good communication from TTimo or id software regarding the progress of the Linux port I will pre-order the games and pay full "day of release" prices. If the communication is poor and I am not confident the Linux port will really happen, then I will wait until they release the Linux port and go buy the game at retail on that day. If the Linux port never appears and I have to use Windows to play the game I will wait a year after release and I will scour eBay and Amazon for a (legitimate) cheap copy of the game, hopefully get the game for $10 - $15.

So, hopefully TTimo and Id will keep us informed. That is how they will get the most money from me. I encourage other Linux supporters to follow suit.

Regards,
      --
      BadSquishy

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        I, personally, know just 3 macos users (one of them dual boots with Linux) and dozen's of Linux ones.
        i dont know any mac users. That said, i dont know any linux users that i haven't converted. Those that i have converted go back to windows after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
          i dont know any mac users. That said, i dont know any linux users that i haven't converted. Those that i have converted go back to windows after a while.
          Then you are not good in conversions. Always to prefer young girls with laptops. Normally you'll receive their machines in an atrocious condition with bloat of spyware/adware/popups/viruses, colours they don't like etc etc, while they only want to chit-chat in facebook and msn. Just make a nice Ubuntu install, choose a girly icon theme, modify the colours to be pinky or purple, add few nice compiz effects (don;t bloat them) and let just the /home folder to lie on desktop with the pictures and videos folder inside.
          They will be yours forever and the most important will be that their boyfriends will be forced to use Linux as well as long as they use the same laptop
          Oh, important, don't forget to install the presentation part of Openoffice. Girls watch a lot of idiot powerpoint things...

I've converted 5 girls thus far. I speak for total conversion hehe

Now, about the Linux users I have a lot of friends from the uni who use linux. Few of them dual boot, but most of them are pure Linuxers.

Comment

installing linux and getting "happy time" are 2 totally different fields of operation my friend

on that note. Few days ago my girlfriends notebook suddenly had some 50% data corruption (2 month old system). Windows Vista as you might expect.

Comment

installing linux and getting "happy time" are 2 totally different fields of operation my friend
              Indeed, I miss the old times when it was an absolute beauty to install Linux, now everything is so boring, just click and install meh

on that note. Few days ago my girlfriends notebook suddenly had some 50% data corruption (2 month old system). Windows Vista as you might expect.
              You have a girlfriend wih winvista and you dare to say it in my face?
              I thought you were different

Comment

Every time i touch her computers she thinks im breaking them. For example last time, when i was attempting to install a printer driver.....

I think after that incident with the data loss, she would allow me to install ubuntu.

Comment

Always to prefer young girls with laptops. Normally you'll receive their machines in an atrocious condition ...choose a girly icon theme, modify the colours... Oh, important, don't forget to install the presentation part of Openoffice...
                  ROTFL. YMMD.

Well at least I convinced parts of my family and partially my GF. But that about the atrocious conditions is often true. Thousands of start centers and useless stuff in the Windows systray, and they wonder why the box is so slow. Some think a step further and install an antivirus solution. Only problem: 10 of the at the same time resident in memory and 5 of them being just scareware.
                  Yes it's easier to have someone switch who's just mailing and chatting and doing that kind of stuff but heavy gamers... impossible. Also Skype as a means of video communication is a real P.I.T.A. since the Linux version sucks compared to the Windows one and besides that it's untrusty closed stuff that is very likely being wiretapped. It also uses other strange techniques.
                  Some complain about Windows but then they fear the "unknown" Linux.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  heise.de
                  I hate it to tell you ... but, Y'know that heise is visited by a lot of geeks and nerds. Okay, there it might be even higher if nerds were allowed to use Linux at work. But compare heise traffic to something like random-magazine-for-beauty-cooking-and-chitter and there you might see a lot of NT5.1+IE hits. I think the Linux "market share" is not easy to compute because Linux is not "sold" the classic way, there are few pre-installations and in general there is also a lot of dual/triple/whatever booting.
                  I think the preinstallations, the forced bundling of windows with boxes makes the biggest problem, people do not get the idea of what an OS really is. They see the Windows as the computer (it's the same) and the internet consits of the "blue e". Some are not even aware about the option of having different prowsers. Presentations are always powerpoint and letters/emails are always written in word (where a simple editor would even be enough). Maximum of ignorance because everything is preinstalled. There is no knowing for them an even far less choice.

The EU had lawsuits with MS about bundling of browsers and stupid media players with their OS. I mean, WTF. It would be far better to have the choice of OS when you buy a laptop and to have the interfaces and file formats open for a better interoperability. Then people could move seamless between all kinds of OS.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Every time i touch her computers she thinks im breaking them. For example last time, when i was attempting to install a printer driver.....

I think after that incident with the data loss, she would allow me to install ubuntu.
                    You have not make her obedient mate...

Comment

You have not make her obedient mate...
                      Linux geek making his mate obedient? That's something whose mere attempt would be worth seeing - and laughing at. ^^

Comment

Working...
                      X