Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 10 "Cambridge" Preview Released

Phoronix: Fedora 10 "Cambridge" Preview Released

Red Hat's Jesse Keating has just announced the availability of the Fedora 10 "Cambridge" Preview release. Fedora 10 is scheduled to be officially released later this month (on the 25th of November) and this preview release is the final build before going gold. Among the many improvements in Fedora 10 includes the introduction of Plymouth, major PulseAudio reworks, improved virtualization, an enriched kernel-based mode-setting experience, and RPM updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Aaaaah... I love how they hose things up right at the end, and then it's always too late in the release cycle to fix it.

Fedora 10 Beta gave me the best 3d performance I've ever seen on my Intel 965GM graphics... better even than Windows. Really, really effing good. We're talking, smooth framerate in Second Life with medium detail, and desktop effects enabled. Vista can't even come close to that kind of awesomeness.

But the Fedora 10 Preview is back to the old standard "Linux sucks for gaming" motto. They've and updated stuff with some of the latest commits to fdo (apparently without testing them?!), and -- although desktop effects and 2d rendering are fine -- they completely nuked OpenGL performance. You would think that this kind of thing wouldn't happen so close to release. Maybe I will just consider Fedora 10 Beta to be the "gold" for me, because if the development freeze occurs with this major braindamage in the GEM 3d acceleration, I can't enjoyably run Fedora 10. Edit: This breakage is not affected by whether or not I have Desktop Effects enabled. While the effects transitions are smooth, games running on top of it will flicker and eventually crash the X server. I was reporting on slow performance with the effects disabled. And by "desktop effects" I mean the metacity compositing code, not compiz.

And to top it all off, OpenGL Vertex Buffer objects are no longer being reported as one of the client extensions. Lovely.

Sean
    Last edited by allquixotic; 04 November 2008, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Has FC10 KMS Support for ATI Cards ? Include R600 ?

Comment

Yep,

R500/R600 cards take the cake in Fedora 10. It's kind of silly that Intel GEM was supposed to be an Intel-driven technology that does well on Intel cards, but in the end it's the Radeon crowd that gets the kernel mode setting and decent OpenGL performance.

Not surprising, just sad for me. Enjoy your KMS, seamless boot, and playable games

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          Yep,

R500/R600 cards take the cake in Fedora 10.)
          Sadly, the preview version only serves me a screen full corruption and a hung system when trying to boot, it seems like the -68 kernel has some problems with my R520 X1650 Pro. The changelog of the -69 kernel however shows a decent amount of changes in the radeon driver, so I hope the final one will work. (Disabling modesetting with the "nomodeset" kernel parameter fixes everything, but I'd rather not use that)

Comment

Originally posted by maleadt View Post
            Sadly, the preview version only serves me a screen full corruption and a hung system when trying to boot, it seems like the -68 kernel has some problems with my R520 X1650 Pro. The changelog of the -69 kernel however shows a decent amount of changes in the radeon driver, so I hope the final one will work. (Disabling modesetting with the "nomodeset" kernel parameter fixes everything, but I'd rather not use that)
            Argh! Sorry to hear that your out of the box experience was even worse than mine. Now that you have a desktop (i.e. with KMS off), how is your 3d performance? Can you try your favorite OpenGL games and give it a run-through? I'm not sure how high-end your card is, but try and compare the performance to what you've seen the card capable of with 'doze or fglrx or other versions of the open source driver. I don't have any ATi hardware, but I'm curious how widespread the 3d performance breakage is.

BTW: when I try the latest fdo GIT of drm, mesa, and xf86-video-intel, I get a nice screenful of corruption too. At least they were kind enough to release a Fedora preview where you can run without an xorg.conf using the intel driver, and get a basic 2d desktop.

Maybe Linus was right.

Sean

Comment

G45

G45 fixed yet?

Comment

Working...
              X