Catalyst 10.1 Still Trash In Heaven, But Good News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Who from ATI is responsible for the Unigine Heaven delay? I see no reason why one hardware vendor should force a software vendor not to release any kind of software. It does not matter if the driver still has bugs or not.
    Or it could simply be that Unigine Heaven people found in AMD an excuse to delay. I mean, they could just release the SW if it were ready. How could a HW vendor force a SW vendor to delay? Unless some bits were obtained through NDA, I don't see how... So, just blame the Unigine Heaven people.

An alternative is they expect their engine to look poor on NVIDIA so they really prefer to wait for AMD to release correct driver first.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I don't think this is an OpenGL 3.x issue, it's about retrofitting the newest tesselation hardware support (which is *not* part of any OpenGL spec today) into an existing OpenGL 3.2 driver via extensions.
      So the specs are ready and implemented in heaven, meaning the 'heaven' release is waiting on a catalyst version supporting the final extension specs? Or are they waiting because the spec themself are not frozen yet, with the chance on a code change?

Good to see opengl at least following directx. Will these extension become part of the official standard?

Comment

Perhaps they're waiting because in the current state nothing can run the demo w/ full details?

Comment

The article just said "a hardware vendor"; I don't know if it's us or someone else asking for the delay.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            the ironic on this part is not nvidias first no the ironic is amd will be the first but only 1 week ;-) or 1 day...

1 day before fermi comes out amd push a hotfix beta driver out be sure..

Well that would be a first for AMD in linux wouldn't it?

Comment

Their developer relation person at ATI/AMD was probably mtippet, and they are still waiting for the green light from him, LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                sure this time amd have a chance be 1 month faster than nvidia..

some people allready have a beta catalyst 10.2/10.3 with the new 2D acceleration and the openGL3 fixes for Haven...

first time you do not need chance from opensource driver to fglrx if you wana play a game after you watch a video and or use 2D programs or use a 3D desktop manager.

just 1-2 month in the future for 3d-desktop manager and EXA-stylish 2D acceleration and dx10 style openGL3 games..
                I hope your right for AMD's sake, however AMD/ATI in the past has had "the million dollar move with a ten cent finish".

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  The article just said "a hardware vendor"; I don't know if it's us or someone else asking for the delay.

It could be nvidia for all we know. Or maybe VIA; could be that they are set to ninja release a bitching OpenGL3.2 line with bitching drivers and open source support .

Comment

@bridgman

The only hw vendor with a 10-1 driver is ATI, so why was it NV now?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                      I've actually read something similar to this in the past. I've heard certain ATI issues with wine or xorg stemming from Nvidia actually providing more functionality than required by spec. This situation has come up dozens of times. Can you comment on it?
                      It depends largely on what GPU the game was mainly developed up on. The 3D API are pretty loose in a lot of corner cases. That's why it's important to be first with new DX/GL HW since more game vendors will tend to use your hardware and expect your driver's behavior in those gray areas.

Comment

Working...
                      X