Catalyst 10.1 Still Trash In Heaven, But Good News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockerdrickan View Post
    The proprietary driver does not support floating point. At least not in an OpenGL 3.2 context. The following code will produce black fragments:

Code:
    out vec4 color;

void main() {
       color=vec4(1.0)*0.99;
    }
    One to two years ago, there used to be a bug that parsed floating-points using the locale's decimal point instead of plain '.'. This is normally fixed nowadays.

Comment

I'm starting to think that the first card we will the Unigine Heaven benchmark in linux will be a Fermi based one.

Comment

The following code will produce black fragments:
        I'm no expert on GLSL, but does your code actually set the color somewhere? Using ShaderMaker, I just tried setting this as "Fragment Shader" and got the expected results. HD5770, catalyst 10.1.
        Code:
        void main()
        {
        	gl_FragColor = vec4(1.0)*0.99;
        }
        not sure if it qualifies as an "OGL 3.2 context" as I didn't dissect shadermaker's sources.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
          I'm no expert on GLSL, but does your code actually set the color somewhere? Using ShaderMaker, I just tried setting this as "Fragment Shader" and got the expected results. HD5770, catalyst 10.1.
          Code:
          void main()
          {
          	gl_FragColor = vec4(1.0)*0.99;
          }
          not sure if it qualifies as an "OGL 3.2 context" as I didn't dissect shadermaker's sources.
          That is what my vec4 color; was for obviously, and no shadermaker probably don't use a forward compatibility context

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
            I'm no expert on GLSL, but does your code actually set the color somewhere?
            out vec4 color; //right there

And no shadermaker probably does not use a forward compatibility context.

Comment

out vec4 color; //right there

And no shadermaker probably does not use a forward compatibility context.
              Does putting:

precision highp float;
              at the top of the frag shader fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kazade View Post
                Does putting:

at the top of the frag shader fix it?
                Actually I already use that line. It does not help at all though.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I don't think this is an OpenGL 3.x issue, it's about retrofitting the newest tesselation hardware support (which is *not* part of any OpenGL spec today) into an existing OpenGL 3.2 driver via extensions.
                  I've actually read something similar to this in the past. I've heard certain ATI issues with wine or xorg stemming from Nvidia actually providing more functionality than required by spec. This situation has come up dozens of times. Can you comment on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                    I've actually read something similar to this in the past. I've heard certain ATI issues with wine or xorg stemming from Nvidia actually providing more functionality than required by spec. This situation has come up dozens of times. Can you comment on it?
                    OpenGL has a long history of vendor extensions getting added, as that was part of the design to allow hardware makers to differentiate their cards. NVidia's are typically used more than others simply because for a long time they were the only real option for high quality 3D graphics on linux. Now that alternative drivers are catching up, it's less likely to be an ongoing problem because new software will take other hardware into account from the beginning. Hopefully, anyway. Also, part of the point of the newer OpenGL 3 versions is to standardize some of the extensions both companies were supporting to help reduce the problem.

Comment

@bridgman

Who from ATI is responsible for the Unigine Heaven delay? I see no reason why one hardware vendor should force a software vendor not to release any kind of software. It does not matter if the driver still has bugs or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X