Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 1.1 Codec Now In Beta

Phoronix: Opus 1.1 Codec Now In Beta

The Opus lossy audio compression codec for real-time applications on the Internet that's comprised of the SILK and CELT codecs is now in beta form for version 1.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Opus 1.1 Codec Now In Beta

The Opus lossy audio compression codec for real-time applications on the Internet that's comprised of the SILK and CELT codecs is now in beta form for version 1.1...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwOTY
    I may be being a pedant here, but I think it's the opus tools that are coming out of alpha and into beta as the spec for Opus is already done.

Comment

If it's the opus tools. no improvements to opus. Today I converted some mp3s in 180Kbps to opus in 48Kbps. Soon when I'll want to get rid of mp3 files I'll convert them to opus as Rhythmbox plays them and many more applications that I use. Soundconverter is my agent in this case

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
        I may be being a pedant here, but I think it's the opus tools that are coming out of alpha and into beta as the spec for Opus is already done.
        no, it is a new version of the codec.

improvements or additions:
        • surround encoding improvements
        • Stereo Saving
        • Dynamic allocation
        • DC Rejection
        • Unconstrained VBR
        • Temporal VBR
        • Speed!

more here: Opus update 20130712: 1.1 Beta Release

Comment

I personally LOVE the Opus codec, I really hope it takes over the world asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
            no, it is a new version of the codec.

improvements or additions:
            • surround encoding improvements
            • Stereo Saving
            • Dynamic allocation
            • DC Rejection
            • Unconstrained VBR
            • Temporal VBR
            • Speed!

more here: Opus update 20130712: 1.1 Beta Release
            I thought those might've just been improvements in the encoder/decoder

That's how I interpreted this excerpt from the mailing list
            both of these new releases are fully compatible with the Opus
            specification in RFC 6716.
            So the actual codec hasn't changed, but the encoders/decoders are smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
              I thought those might've just been improvements in the encoder/decoder.
              Codec is short for (en)coder/decoder.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge
                I personally LOVE the Opus codec, I really hope it takes over the world asap.
                I heard it was best for low latency communication like VoIP/skype, but is it also better for things like streaming and local playback? I'm not really familiar with it but I would assume being specialized like that would result in better performance there and drawbacks in other applications.

Comment

All your questions are explained in the official site:
                  Opus, the open standard, high quality codec. Presentation, documentation, comparison with other formats, download links, source code repository.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
                    All your questions are explained in the official site:
                    http://www.opus-codec.org
                    Wow thanks! I see Monty, one of the contributors to Vorbis, has commented on the new changes in opus and also made a demo page for proof!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X