NVIDIA 310.14: OpenGL 4.3, Threaded Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I'm using KDE 4.9.2. Isn't that already applied?
    The patch was only applied upstream a month ago; From the looks of it KDE 4.9 got branches a while before that, so you need to apply it manually. I looked at this problem some more on yesterday and I see other GrabServer calls coming from KWin on window move, not just the one removed by the patch, so applying it might only alleviate the issues you're seeing and not remove them completely.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
      Well, sure, and I apologize for that also.

But nouveau is more than a driver to me, I take it very personally because I see nouveau as the living proof that we as users want something better for Linux. Also, I see nouveau as the work by people who have been wronged by nvidia and I see nouveau as taking revenge and showing nvidia how to do things.

And the fact that people can code a driver without the help from nvidia is impressive to me and I think is very worthy of respect, even if they don't have the 3D acceleration that the blob has right now, I think the fact that these people are working for us is impressive, and I believe they deserve respect and our help, even if you are happily running the blob right now.

So it's really annoying when people call it garbage, it shows these people don't care for the work that Linux developers are doing and that makes me sad.

I don't care if people want to use the blob, but please have some respect for the work these people are doing with nouveau.

I don't understand why the need to trash-talk about nouveau just because some people here are happy with the blob, that distresses me a lot and it makes me angry.

I wish we could all get along.
      Respect is a two way street. Don't call the blob names and people won't do the same for nouveau. Actually, they will, but who cares? It's just a piece of software that enables us to use the video card after all. I write software for a living and I still don't feel emotional at all about it.

Comment

Ok I take that I've exaggerated a bit with these comments, sorry.
        Good, we certainly can get along. I mean, "for Linus' sake", no-one wished you to die or anything.
        Btw, as things are now, I'd say the blobs are needed, even for nouveau. Besides, no Nvidia-->no nvidia GPUs-->no use for nouveau.

Personally, I believe many things will gradually open, but it won't happen quickly, cause it's not JUST Nvidia themselves, but many factors, like parts of Nvidia driver/hardware etc actually licensed by third parties who in their part also don't really want to open up.
        But open hardware seems like it "can become a thing" now, and that's good news always.
        Fueling a needless, and in a way non-existent(I wouldn't say Nvidia and nouveau are actually in arms about something, no war is going on, and if there were we should try to prevent it, not fuel it), fight will not really help with anything, we will just fight among ourselves and waste our time, which we could use helping opensource, among other things actually.

The last part doesn't go to specifically you asdx though, but to many people just spewing hate around. Especially in these forums here.
        Sorry on my end for insulting too, even though I found your behavior wrong, things never need to go this way, but please understand that aggressive attitudes trigger aggressiveness to other people too. This includes being aggressive against something other people support/believe whatever.
        Be well everyone. Let's reduce the trolling/fighting/cursing whatever here, we can all get along.

**If I'm wrong in anything "technical" etc that I mentioned, please have me corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Plagman View Post
          The patch was only applied upstream a month ago; From the looks of it KDE 4.9 got branches a while before that, so you need to apply it manually. I looked at this problem some more on yesterday and I see other GrabServer calls coming from KWin on window move, not just the one removed by the patch, so applying it might only alleviate the issues you're seeing and not remove them completely.
          I'll try out the patch when I have a bit of time on my hands later today. Though the 310.14 beta actually solves the VDPAU stutter problem here with vanilla KDE. Is the patch supposed to solve the GL VSync stutter problem?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            I'll try out the patch when I have a bit of time on my hands later today. Though the 310.14 beta actually solves the VDPAU stutter problem here with vanilla KDE. Is the patch supposed to solve the GL VSync stutter problem?
            Applying the patch should cause help with that also, yes. It should remove any problems when the window isn't moving and alleviate them if you're dragging the window.

Comment

When I install 310.14 I am experiencing an odd issue. For some reason, the backlight control in KDE stops working. My system (a Dell Vostro 1500) does not use the graphics card or driver to control display brightness. Also, I can still adjust the the values manually /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0.

Is anyone else having issues like this?

Comment

Well, I installed v310.14 beta on Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.2 from Xorg Edgers PPA. Be careful if you enable this PPA. Read the warnings from PPA site. If you enabled it, just install "nvidia-current" 310.14 and "nvidia-settings". Then again disable the PPA.
                GT430 nVidia card.

The video playback when KDE effects are active (OpenGL) have poor performance (1080p). In SMPlayer, using VDPAU is even worse than with Xv. The quality improves when the effects are disabled or using XRender instead OpenGL. Is this problem related to these patches for KDE that you mentioned?

Also in nvidia-settings I can not find the settings for color/brightness/contrast for video (Xvideo). I refer to these configurations for video. These settings for color correction for screen there are.
                Last edited by YAFU; 16 October 2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Sure I agree, and no problem, it won't happen again (I know I've said this more than once, sorry), but this time it won't happen again. I'm truly sorry.

I just hope that Nvidia could get more, you know... human sometimes, and help the nouveau team, which in my opinion is an impressive team and they deserve all the respect from the world for the tremendous work they've already done on their own.

I wish they both could help each other instead of fighting, and do something really good so that everyone could benefit in the end.

Peace.
                  You're right, I'd love that too. But they're corporate in the end. And that means we shouldn't expect them to be very "charitable". As I said, I believe they'll see benefits of opening up more on the long run, and not only them. Especially if Linux grows in "power", and things show it can.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
                    Also in nvidia-settings I can not find the settings for color/brightness/contrast for video (Xvideo). I refer to these configurations for video. These settings for color correction for screen there are.
                    Color/brightness has been removed recently from nvidia-settings, I don't recall exactly why, but every self-respecting video player has corresponding settings for video brightness etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      Color/brightness has been removed recently from nvidia-settings, I don't recall exactly why, but every self-respecting video player has corresponding settings for video brightness etc.
                      Ok. I guess then there is no way to change these settings when you are watching an embedded video in the web browser.
                      The truth is that I do not remember if those settings worked for it in other versions.

Comment

Working...
                      X