No announcement yet.

Avivo Linux R500 Driver v0.1.0 Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wonder how is ati going to react to this. people are definitely more enthusiastic towards new driver, than they ever were towards fglrx :]

avivo driver might become serious competition for their fglrx someday (which doesn't seem that hard ;-) ). nvidia decided not to help and not to interfere with nouveau. i wonder what does ati will ati say about avivo once it matures a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      i wonder how is ati going to react to this. people are definitely more enthusiastic towards new driver, than they ever were towards fglrx :]

avivo driver might become serious competition for their fglrx someday (which doesn't seem that hard ;-) ).
      I'd say neither will live up to my expectations.

Comment

It depends how much functionality gets reverse-engineered.

The current Open Source radeon drivers still don't support things like hardware-accelerated DVD playback (XvMC) even though cards as old as the Radeon 9200 are capable of doing so. And there's TV-OUT support, too. So I don't think ATI are going to be worried for a long, long time.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
          The current Open Source radeon drivers still don't support things like hardware-accelerated DVD playback (XvMC) even though cards as old as the Radeon 9200 are capable of doing so. And there's TV-OUT support, too. So I don't think ATI are going to be worried for a long, long time.
          of course not. but i wonder what happens in the long-term. well they don't really have a basis to push out CoD letters or similar actions.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            version 0.1.0
            I misread this for a split second as "version 1.0".

Hah! Wishful thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
              ATI/AMD probably won't be frightened for a long time.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

i really hope that they don't try to interfere.

Comment

i really hope that they don't try to interfere.
                  While they don't support the driver by offering up developers or specifications, they will not interfere or try to bring down the Avivo driver. Their server integrated chipset is to the extent that they support the open-source Radeon driver, but it was an AMD developer who had added the initial RS400 series support to the Radeon driver and they do some other things as well. In the (unlikely) event they get any crazy ideas to interfere with the Avivo driver, I would personally interject and raise hell with them.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yay! But, err, would that help?

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    In the (unlikely) event they get any crazy ideas to interfere with the Avivo driver, I would personally interject and raise hell with them.
                    No offense, but is there a reason why ATI would listen to you if you did ??

Comment

XvMc support ... How to get the ball rolling?

Suppose I owned an R200 card and wanted to use its XvMc functionality. Is there anything I could do to get the ball rolling, please? (I have an LCD monitor - the most recent version of fglrx that supposedly supported R200 just resulted in a blank screen.)

And is there anything I could do to ensure that my R530-based laptop's XvMC capability doesn't languish too?

Comment

Working...
                      X