Mir Was Briefly Talked About This Week At XDC2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    Christopher Halse Rogers is one of the main developers of Mir. Don't you think that as a developer you should know the implications of the license of your project and be able to explain them?
    Oooooooooooh. I thought it was a Xorg or Mesa or Wayland developer speaking. That makes alot of sense now. I retract my earlier statement then.

Comment

So, wayland can do more than mir, and mir is stuck with a client-side allocated mesa but itself has to use server-side?
      Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        So, wayland can do more than mir, and mir is stuck with a client-side allocated mesa but itself has to use server-side?
        Fun!
        Even though I personally dislike Mir, it was stated several times that the motivation for server side allocations is on mobiles performance. And on mobile, mesa has zero or near zero relevance.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
          Even though I personally dislike Mir, it was stated several times that the motivation for server side allocations is on mobiles performance. And on mobile, mesa has zero or near zero relevance.
          As one of the people in the audience pointed out Wayland isn't tied to clientside allocation. They mentioned the work done on the raspberry pi to give an example.

Comment

As one of the people in the audience pointed out Wayland isn't tied to clientside allocation. They mentioned the work done on the raspberry pi to give an example.
            Yes, I'm aware, I pointed that out in another thread, actually. This doesn't change my correction to the post I quoted: the call to use server side allocations was made thinking in improving things for platforms where mesa is not relevant.

Comment

Yes, I'm aware, I pointed that out in another thread, actually. This doesn't change my correction to the post I quoted: the call to use server side allocations was made thinking in improving things for platforms where mesa is not relevant.
              They are stuck with mesa on the desktop if they want to use open drivers. Of course they could elect not to use those drivers, but they'd be the only distro to do that, to my knowledge, but, they certainly could.
              In the mobile space they clearly are going to use the blobs (though they don't HAVE to, as open drivers for mali-400 and adreno 2xx-3xx exist, but I admit these aren't ready to replace the blobs).
              The main point of my post was that wayland is able to do serverside allocation which negates an "advantage" for mir.

Comment

wayland is able to do serverside allocation which negates an "advantage" for mir.
                What part of "by us, for us" has anything to do with advantages

Comment

So in other words they are making life hard on their core platform on hopes that they might be able to break into a platform they currently have zero presence in? Rather than just using something that work fine on both?

Comment

By us, for us
                    Wow, how do I love Canonicals attitude towards the commutiy!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      So in other words they are making life hard on their core platform on hopes that they might be able to break into a platform they currently have zero presence in? Rather than just using something that work fine on both?
                      Yes, I think that would be a proper description of the situation.

They are stuck with mesa on the desktop if they want to use open drivers. Of course they could elect not to use those drivers, but they'd be the only distro to do that, to my knowledge, but, they certainly could.
                      In the mobile space they clearly are going to use the blobs (though they don't HAVE to, as open drivers for mali-400 and adreno 2xx-3xx exist, but I admit these aren't ready to replace the blobs).
                      The main point of my post was that wayland is able to do serverside allocation which negates an "advantage" for mir.
                      Again, I'm only saying they didn't paid attention to the desktop when making that decision. I know they are stuck with mesa on the desktop. I also believe they expected everyone to go along with their choices, so they didn't care how mesa currently handles it, they probably expected them to change to whatever they choose, or to at least provide an option to work the way they want.

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                      What part of "by us, for us" has anything to do with advantages
                      Are you serious? Would you invest time and money in making another solution for the same problem, having another one for free, just to be able to say it's "by me, for me"? I think they should expect to take some advantage of it, otherwise they are being utterly stupid.
                      But yeah, the point is to be able to exactly control what it can do, so that's probably the perceived advantage, they probably think this way it can have exactly the features they need, which is a possibility. IMO, their needs are pretty much the same as the needs of every other DE, so it will have just around the same features any compositor on Wayland has, and if that happens then there is no advantage on the "by us, for us" approach.

On the point of your post, it wasn't clear at first, I think. Again, I'm aware Wayland can do that, and I mentioned that when I said I see no technical reasons for Mir on several threads already, so I'm not really sure what we are arguing about.
                      Last edited by mrugiero; 27 September 2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X