New Linux game: Conquest Divide and Conquer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux game: Conquest Divide and Conquer

Just found this fresh turn-based strategy game that was also released on Linux:

Use our awesomes links if you are looking for excellent websites. Come and take a look, you will like it!

Looks sweet but I haven't tried it yet. Price looks good, too. Anyone played it yet?

Nice find, I'd like to play it, I'm going to find out some stuff about it first. I'll post my findings.

Comment

I talked to a dev (named "void"), and he doesn't find the need to release amd64 builds because most devs don't release amd64 builds.
      This is a repeat of the linux gaming market dilemma, ie: no one develops for linux, so of course no one is playing linux games.
      I won't be buying the game soon.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
        I talked to a dev (named "void"), and he doesn't find the need to release amd64 builds because most devs don't release amd64 builds.
        This is a repeat of the linux gaming market dilemma, ie: no one develops for linux, so of course no one is playing linux games.
        I won't be buying the game soon.
        Heh... That's about to change. I'm releasing 64-bit builds where possible (not all titles are 64-bit clean or easily made to be...so there might still be some 32-bit only titles produced...).

Comment

I already knew I could count on svartalf.
          My quip with Void was that he even said that he used a 64bit build himself, but didn't feel like releasing it to the public.
          He came off as pretentious and wasn't accommodating to his customers.

Comment

I would take a 32bit build for linux over no build for linux

a 32bit binary on a 64bit system isn't as retarded as a windows binary via WINE

32bit code can run quite happily in a 64bit system.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post

My thoughts exactly. Although it's sad what snuwoods said about the dev, I'll still be able to enjoy it in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post

32bit code can run quite happily in a 64bit system.
                Yep. My take on things. However, I do hold that it's not as good as being able to do 64-bit pure system configs. There's a reason there's a 64-bit version of Caster about to come out and Cortex Command will roll out with both being available. No good reason to NOT do it unless you've got "iffy" code that would be difficult to make 64-bit clean.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
                  I already knew I could count on svartalf.
                  My quip with Void was that he even said that he used a 64bit build himself, but didn't feel like releasing it to the public.
                  He came off as pretentious and wasn't accommodating to his customers.
                  Now, that IS a bit lame. If they dev's using it for testing and all or playing it for his own fun- he should be RELEASING it. <*shakes his head*>

Comment

Heya, someone forwarded this thread to me and I want to clear a couple things up.

I'm not the person compiling the different builds, and I was told offering a 64 bit Linux version was annoying/non-trivial to manage (we had one in the past). Our building process is fully automated and synchronized for all platforms, in order to bring fixes and updates live immediately. Though I personally develop on a 64 bit Gentoo box, the release builds for Windows and Linux are compiled on a 32 bit Gentoo machine.

Now, is running a 32 bit application under a 64 bit system such a big deal? Because honestly, in my own experience it isn't at all. The performance is basically identical, and we're at a transition stage right now. Even on Windows my "Program Files (x86)" folder contains significantly more apps/games than my "Program Files" folder. Is there something for other distributions that makes it complicated to run 32 bit apps, or is it pure idealism? At least for me 32 and 64 bit Conquest run equally good.

Comment

Working...
                    X