No announcement yet.

The Witcher 2 Might Be Out For Linux Real Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, I've heard so much good about The Witcher series. Is it possible to play Witcher 2 without knowing the story from the first game?

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
      Nice, I've heard so much good about The Witcher series. Is it possible to play Witcher 2 without knowing the story from the first game?
      Hasn't been a problem at all for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
        Don't hold your breath, the so called Mac version of W1 is actually a WINE wrapped one.
        Yeah but, apparently, the Mac version of W2 uses a native OpenGL renderer.

(I have no Macs, so I can't confirm)

Comment

The first Witcher game is in a good place with Wine now anyway if you use the right Wine version, especially since CSMT and the long standing health bar bug was fixed. I recommend using wine-1.7.4 plus the CSMT patch for it, as the newer github CSMT has a regression for this game.

The engine is probably a bit too different from Witcher 2 and 3's engine to be easily portable without additional work, but maybe they'll do it eventually nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
            I think that it'd be silly to *not* release The Witcher 2 on Linux through Steam.
            I'm not questioning that. It will be on both GOG and Steam.

Comment

Witcher 1 was based upon modified Aurora Engine so it may be harder to port it over to OpenGL/Linux (technical and legal)
              Witcher 2 is based upon REDengine, which is in-house solution, so it was a lot easier for them ;P

Originally posted by numasan View Post
              You can read the books it is based upon to have some knowledge about the world (they are Polish, but translatedo to many languages) Author: Andrzej Sapkowski.

Comment

It's in!

Salut,

I've just started Steam and guess what? I found The Witcher 2 in my list!

I started the installation but it'll take a while because of the 18709MB to download...

Stay tuned, I'll get back to you later!

A+
                Debcool

Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

it showed on steam database now. although is says "Depot not public", it already has linux icon and shares same ID as witcher 2. at least for me, when i saw "linux retail, i thought it will be kinda like TR enhanced and sold as different game. seems not

Comment

Too bad...

Unfortunatly after 2 hours of download, it doesn't run! "Missing executable"

I followed the support instructions (erase appcache folder & make a file check) but doesn't work either. Actually, there is no executable in the folder at all.

I hope they'll fix it soon!

A+
                    Debcool
                    Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Originally posted by Debcool View Post
                      Salut,

I've just started Steam and guess what? I found The Witcher 2 in my list!

I started the installation but it'll take a while because of the 18709MB to download...

Stay tuned, I'll get back to you later!

A+
                      Debcool
                      Holy shit! I'm buying right now!

Even if it doesn't fully work yet, it means it really is happening and will count as a Linux sale.

Comment

Working...
                      X