Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Mesa 9.2 Benchmarks With Nouveau

Phoronix: Early Mesa 9.2 Benchmarks With Nouveau

While the release of Mesa 9.2/10.0 is still a ways away, for those users of the Nouveau reverse-engineered open-source NVIDIA graphics driver, here are some early benchmarks for reference compared to the stable Mesa 9.0 and 9.1 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This will get interesting once they get reclocking (in the kernel) going. Since the big rewrite, nothing much has changed except for a few patches which mostly seemed to fix bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      This will get interesting once they get reclocking (in the kernel) going. Since the big rewrite, nothing much has changed except for a few patches which mostly seemed to fix bugs.
      Reclocking is painfully hard to do, you would also have to do it for almost every card (or at least every GPU: there are 4 Kepler GPUs I know for example: GK107, GK106, GK104, GK110), so we won't see it for a while, sadly. We can always hope though.

Comment

I think it was David Airlie that said they had spoken to the nvidia devs and what they basically said was: we dont even know how i works. -supposedly- they get a sheet from the hardware devs that says "put these registers in this state" and it automagically reclocks to X frequency. (Sounds like a joke i know, but he said it with a pretty straight face in the talk lol)
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          Reclocking is painfully hard to do, you would also have to do it for almost every card (or at least every GPU: there are 4 Kepler GPUs I know for example: GK107, GK106, GK104, GK110), so we won't see it for a while, sadly. We can always hope though.
          Yeah, it's been a while since there has been some progress. That said, it has been pretty good so far. The quality of the 3D driver is pretty good. I got a really old (but nice) game work under wine with this driver. Which is awesome. The game was Drakan: The order of the flame.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          I think it was David Airlie that said they had spoken to the nvidia devs and what they basically said was: we dont even know how i works. -supposedly- they get a sheet from the hardware devs that says "put these registers in this state" and it automagically reclocks to X frequency. (Sounds like a joke i know, but he said it with a pretty straight face in the talk lol)
          But, wouldn't they 'see' these registers in 'this state' and then just copy-paste that to nouveau? Case closed? From what I can see in the IRC channels, is that they are trying to understand the entire mechanics 'behind' these registers. Only then to implement it properly.

Wish I could help though. All I'm doing now is prodding them with bugreports :P .

Comment

But, wouldn't they 'see' these registers in 'this state' and then just copy-paste that to nouveau? Case closed? From what I can see in the IRC channels, is that they are trying to understand the entire mechanics 'behind' these registers. Only then to implement it properly.

Wish I could help though. All I'm doing now is prodding them with bugreports :P .
            You're right in that ideally it would just be a copy-paste from the blob, also it would be better if they DID understand the entire reclocking process but that takes a lot longer. Better, but it takes more time. Honestly it'll be interesting when the foss drive gets properly memory / fan frequency support... theyve got a a pretty good 3D pipeline going from michaels tests over the years, just needs to be running at higher-than-minimum frequencies.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              You're right in that ideally it would just be a copy-paste from the blob, also it would be better if they DID understand the entire reclocking process but that takes a lot longer. Better, but it takes more time. Honestly it'll be interesting when the foss drive gets properly memory / fan frequency support... theyve got a a pretty good 3D pipeline going from michaels tests over the years, just needs to be running at higher-than-minimum frequencies.
              "good 3D pipeline"

Courtesy of Nvidia GPU engineers. They design their GPU's interfaces drivers interact with pretty closely to OpenGL. That is why OpenGL support on Nvidia is quite good.

Comment

Speaking of Nouveau, what is required to get GTX 660 to run on it? Do I need a special Mesa version? Do I need some files from the blob? I'm currently trying to test as many configurations as possible, and the only driver I haven't tested so far is nouveau

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Speaking of Nouveau, what is required to get GTX 660 to run on it? Do I need a special Mesa version? Do I need some files from the blob? I'm currently trying to test as many configurations as possible, and the only driver I haven't tested so far is nouveau
                  From the codenames I think that's an NVE0. The driver provides firmware for that card. However, on the hardware status page, someone reported a shoddy experience with an EVGA chipset with exactly your chip.

This information is not exactly classified btw...

Comment

From the codenames I think that's an NVE0. The driver provides firmware for that card. However, on the hardware status page, someone reported a shoddy experience with an EVGA chipset with exactly your chip.

This information is not exactly classified btw...
                    I know, but it's good to know - I never used nouveau before, so I really don't know what's the installation process, and it doesn't just work out of the box in openSUSE 12.3. But apparently that's because it requires kernel 3.8, and the one that ships is 3.7. So that's good to know too. As for it being unstable in 3D, eh, I don't really mind it, since I just need to use it for a quick look at any bugs a game may have when using nouveau, and if the bugs are the same as when using some of the other drivers (intel, radeon, fglrx, nvidia) or different in some way.

Comment

Working...
                    X