Logitech G9 Sens Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech G9 Sens Issues

I can't think of a more knowledgeable community than this one to ask, so sorry if this thread is out-of-the-ordinary for this sub-forum, but I'm at my wits end!

I have a Logitech G9 (super high dpi laser mouse), which works flawlessly in Quake4 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. However, some older games are unplayable. The input to the game is completely screwed up. It's like the sensitivity is a million and even the axis are screwed up. The player is basically just staring at the ground or the ceiling. Even the in-game menus are unusable. The cursor sticks to one area or another.

Games that are like this:
    Doom 3
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Although, oddly enough, not Quake3 or any Quake3 mods. So it's not an engine thing. I thought maybe it was a setting, but I've tried deleting my Doom3 home directory, and even reinstalling Doom3, to no avail.

Help!

Originally posted by epoch View Post
    I can't think of a more knowledgeable community than this one to ask, so sorry if this thread is out-of-the-ordinary for this sub-forum, but I'm at my wits end!

I have a Logitech G9 (super high dpi laser mouse), which works flawlessly in Quake4 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. However, some older games are unplayable. The input to the game is completely screwed up. It's like the sensitivity is a million and even the axis are screwed up. The player is basically just staring at the ground or the ceiling. Even the in-game menus are unusable. The cursor sticks to one area or another.

Games that are like this:
    Doom 3
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Although, oddly enough, not Quake3 or any Quake3 mods. So it's not an engine thing. I thought maybe it was a setting, but I've tried deleting my Doom3 home directory, and even reinstalling Doom3, to no avail.

Help!

What does your xorg.conf have your mouse configured as? I've got a G5 and to get it working properly needs a bit of an unusual setup (but it works flawlessly). Here is my setup in xorg.conf

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver       "evdev"
      Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
      Option       "InputFashion" "Mouse"
      Option       "Name" "Logitech Gaming Mouse"
      Option       "Pass" "3"
      Option       "Vendor" "Sysp"
      Option       "evBits" "+1-2"
      Option       "keyBits" "~272-287"
      Option       "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
      Driver       "mouse"
      Identifier   "Mouse[3]"
      Option       "Buttons" "5"
      Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      Option       "Name" "ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse"
      Option       "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
      Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      What does your xorg.conf have your mouse configured as? I've got a G5 and to get it working properly needs a bit of an unusual setup (but it works flawlessly). Here is my setup in xorg.conf

Code:
      Section "InputDevice"
        Driver       "evdev"
        Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
        Option       "InputFashion" "Mouse"
        Option       "Name" "Logitech Gaming Mouse"
        Option       "Pass" "3"
        Option       "evBits" "+1-2"
        Option       "keyBits" "~272-287"
        Option       "relBits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
      EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Driver       "mouse"
        Identifier   "Mouse[3]"
        Option       "Buttons" "5"
        Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option       "Name" "ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse"
        Option       "Protocol" "explorerps/2"
        Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      EndSection
      You have two mice configs?

Mine is this:
      Code:
      Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier  "Mouse0"
          Driver  "evdev"
          Option  "Name"  "Logitech G9 Laser Mouse"
          Option  "Vendor" "046d"
          Option  "Product" "c048"
          Option  "Emulate3Buttons" "false"                                                         
          Option  "Device" "/dev/input/event0"                                                      
          Option  "WHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "4 5"
          Option  "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7"
          Option  "Buttons" "9"
          Option  "Resolution" "2000"
      EndSection
      Btw, my mouse works flawlessly using this config, including the rocker buttons on the mouse wheel, etc. It's only in the aforementioned games that it's messed up.

Comment

Out of curiosity, have you tried dropping your Resolution value to say 400 or 800 to see the effect in the above mentioned games?

Comment

No, and I'm thinking of just that.

I'll change it and report back when I'm home.

Still, though, I think there's probably a cvar in those games that has something to do with it. Something like in_dgaMouse or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by epoch View Post
            I'll change it and report back when I'm home.
            Nope.

And a correction: Quake 3 doesn't work. So this is engine-limited, but Doom 3, for whatever reason, is also lacking the necessary whatever-it-is. Now, ioUrbanTerror, the free port of Urban Terror based on ioQuake3, works fine. Likewise does ioquake3 itself. Back when ioUrT was announced, I remember reading that ioquake3 had changed mouse input to use SDL, as opposed to X11. Is this it? If so, is there a Doom 3 patch? Or a Wolf:ET patch? I'm really missing those two games!

Quick Edit: It's a valid bug in Xorg, related to the 'evdev' mouse driver.

Interested parties please see this BTS entry: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=450851
            Last edited by epoch; 19 May 2008, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Do you have mouse acceleration on? If not, you could try looking for the config files for those games and changing the sensitivity in those or in the game's console.

Comment

Working...
              X