Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.04 May Backport Newer Kernels

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.04 May Backport Newer Kernels

The Ubuntu kernel team has written a message on the Ubuntu announcement mailing list in which they lay out the kernel summary for Ubuntu Lucid. In this message the kernel team confirms that Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (the "Lucid Lynx") will indeed be shipping with the just-released Linux 2.6.32 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I, for one, am quite happy with the mainline kernel PPA - been using it with 9.04, and I am using it now with 9.10 again. Are there any problems to be expected with the PPA packages if you lag behind a release or two?

Comment

I think this is worthwhile. Our production server is still running Hardy and we don't plan to move on till Lucid. Having said that, it's not really the kernel that poses a problem, more the other packages. On a server running Rails, for example, it helps to stay up to date with Ruby and a version of nginx that supports Passenger. Luckily, Brightbox have been really excellent at backporting these things.

Comment

I was really hoping for the next Ubuntu LTS to ship with 2.6.33 .
        USB Wifi for the realtek 819x series is horribly unstable in 2.6.32, barely made the staging branch in the 5|6th release candidate.
        ( Can't connect with less than 50% signal high latencies can't use 40Mhz Bandwidth etc. )
        The way I see it supporting 2.6.32 in an LTS then back-porting 2.6.33 is going to cause sound issues for quite a few people.
        I mean hardy popped in a recent kernel and the only real issues given about hardy were it wasn't as fast as Gutsy and pulseaudio broke the sound, causing a chain reaction on some apps for example flash.
        Last edited by TheWind; 04 December 2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

In the First Place

1. All distributions should be doing this.

Rules of Software Developement
          a. You can't develop against a constantly changing platform.
          b. If doing it right means breaking the system then do it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
            b. If doing it right means breaking the system then do it wrong.
            That attitude is the reason why so much software is buggy, bloated garbage.

Comment

Working...
            X