Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Needs Help Testing Power Management

Phoronix: Fedora Needs Help Testing Power Management

The Fedora Project and their upstream contributors are seeking help from you in testing their latest Fedora 15 spin to see how well the Linux power management works out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bug: when I close the lid on my laptop in order to move somewhere, it does not mean that I want to be disconnected from wifi which requires manual web-based authentication, disconnect all my IM sessions and downloads in progress.

I'm positive I'm not the only one in that position

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
      Bug: when I close the lid on my laptop in order to move somewhere, it does not mean that I want to be disconnected from wifi which requires manual web-based authentication, disconnect all my IM sessions and downloads in progress.

I'm positive I'm not the only one in that position
      Yes, there is a bug. Your wi-fi should preserve your network connection status on resume. File it with the details

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
        Yes, there is a bug. Your wi-fi should preserve your network connection status on resume. File it with the details
        If you can make the CPU suspend while keeping downloads IM IRC etc going, I'm all for it.

Please don't misread things intentionally, this was about downloads breaking because of unwanted suspend.

Comment

I still have a hard time understanding this.

It's a rather large conclusion to jump to that closing the lid means my laptop has finished interacting with the network. Does nobody on the Gnome team work in an office where they move from room to room, but perhaps kick off downloads (wget, perhaps) or want to maintain stateful connections between rooms? Ever use a terminal IRC, email, or FTP client? SSH into a server, and occasionally forget to run screen?

Have they never witnessed the "walking around with laptop lid partially open" behavior of a lot of office dwellers, because they don't want their laptop to go to sleep? I see this every single day where I work.

I'm heartened by the fact that overriding this behavior is possible for technical users via gconf (like focus-follows-mouse), but coupled with the fact that my primary personal laptop has to use Gnome 3's fallback mode (and the fact that fallback mode feels very much like someone hasn't been eating their own dogfood), means I'm not going to enjoy upgrading that machine to F15.

(I want systemd, and a couple of the other improvements that made their way into this version. But Gnome 3 is all anyone is going to remember about this release, for better or for worse.)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            If you can make the CPU suspend while keeping downloads IM IRC etc going, I'm all for it.

Please don't misread things intentionally, this was about downloads breaking because of unwanted suspend.
            You are actually pointing out a different but related problem than what I was answering. it is possible for software that does downloads to inhibit a suspend and yes if it doesn't do that, it is a bug that should be reported as well.

If you have thought about any use case that the current behaviour fails to satisfy report it in bugzilla.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              You are actually pointing out a different but related problem than what I was answering. it is possible for software that does downloads to inhibit a suspend and yes if it doesn't do that, it is a bug that should be reported as well.

If you have thought about any use case that the current behaviour fails to satisfy report it in bugzilla.
              logic responded to this above pretty well. Would you really want to add that to _every_ app? wget? ssh?

What's the api for that anyway, it sounds like the android wakelocks, which I hear aren't merged yet...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                logic responded to this above pretty well. Would you really want to add that to _every_ app? wget? ssh?

What's the api for that anyway, it sounds like the android wakelocks, which I hear aren't merged yet...
                Shrug. Not my call. Just report it in bugzilla and let the developers involved decide what to do about it. Feedback here doesn't help fix any issues.

Comment

Working...
                X