Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Linux Ultrabook: The ASUS Zenbook UX301LA-DH71T

Phoronix: My New Linux Ultrabook: The ASUS Zenbook UX301LA-DH71T

The ASUS Zenbook UX301LA-DH71T is a Haswell-based Intel ultrabook that I have found to be quite interesting and will be carrying out a large number of Linux tests (and Windows 8.1 vs. Linux benchmarks) from this laptop that sports Intel Iris HD 5100 graphics, dual SSDs, and other impressive features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! I went with the an HP ultrabook to get a combined 11 hour battery life from the 2 batteries (one in the keyboard, one in the monitor) plus the low-power Haswell. But my specs aren't as powerful as yours. I've found the 13.3 inch display works quite well. I was surprised, as I've spent years on a series of 17" laptops, and never thought I would be able to fit all my needs onto the smaller screen. The widescreen really helps with that. Enabling legacy boot on this thing to allow booting into Linux is a breeze.

Comment

It's not a core i7.

Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Just saying.
        "Just saying," indeed. In the vast, *vast* majority of use cases an i7 is not needed and provides no appreciable difference in performance over an i5. I'd say that's probably even more so the case in a laptop that's not being used for compiling or other CPU-intensive or 4+ core operations.

That being said, I'm curious: how does the Zenbook's trackpad compare to the Macbook's? I've yet to find a trackpad even close to the Macbook's -- my Acer Chromebook C720's trackpad is about as close as you can get.

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing what kind of framerate this pulls for casual gameplay like TF2.

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
            I'd be interested in seeing what kind of framerate this pulls for casual gameplay like TF2.

most likely not great if he's only running linux within a VM.

Comment

Originally posted by ffiil View Post
              most likely not great if he's only running linux within a VM.
              that's only for MacBook Pros I use VMs on my main system...
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Interesting choice, I hope you report back In a month about how well it is working for you.

I often run my MBP in the same way, that is Linux in a VM. In this case running LinuxCNC though. If you where making heavy use of MacOS though I can see you struggling with these alternative machines. Just using the track pads on these "Windows" oriented computers is trying to say the least. I know this is a Linux users fan site to a certain extent but Apple does a hell of a job implementing its track pads.

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
                  That being said, I'm curious: how does the Zenbook's trackpad compare to the Macbook's? I've yet to find a trackpad even close to the Macbook's -- my Acer Chromebook C720's trackpad is about as close as you can get.
                  This is the very first thing I thought about. Unfortunately I have to work with a range of laptops at work, all running some variant of Windows, every single one of them has a track pad that is basically worthless. Thus many of the machines have a mouse attached. With my MBP I have never found a need for a mouse doing the basics.

I will be most interested to see how this machine works out for Michael in both the short term and the long term. I still see beating Apple in the laptop domain as difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    that's only for MacBook Pros I use VMs on my main system...

You mentioned "clock skew" problems, what exactly are you talking about here and how is it that you can see the issue?

Comment

Working...
                    X