Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Heaven For Linux May Come Next Week

Phoronix: Unigine Heaven For Linux May Come Next Week

We have received confirmation from Unigine Corp that with Catalyst 9.12 for Linux now released with its proper OpenGL 3.2 support and bug-fixes, this paves the way for Unigine Heaven to be released possibly as soon as next week. We previously reported that drivers were the hold-up in Unigine Corp not releasing their Heaven demo that offers heavenly graphics because no drivers at the time could handle their advanced OpenGL 3.2 renderer that comes complete with hardware tessellation support for the ATI Radeon HD 5000 series, even on Linux. The latest 195.xx NVIDIA Linux driver should end up working with the latest Unigine improvements too, but without any hardware tessellation support until their GeForce GT300 "Fermi" series is released that will offer such support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

hu?

Does it work with the open source radeon drivers (64bits only built)?

Comment

No, it requires opengl3.2 support apparently, which only exists from the proprietary blobs as far as I'm aware. It will be a while before the open source drivers reach that far.

In any case, Unigine will hopefully be another good example of just some of the great things that can be done with OpenGL. It will also be interesting to see what kind of problems people have with it - hopefully very few - and how stable it runs (I say that as if it runs great with few problems for anyone, it'd go a long way to shifting more graphics attention to linux).

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
        No, it requires opengl3.2 support apparently, which only exists from the proprietary blobs as far as I'm aware.
        blobs? Sorry, without me guys.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
          In any case, Unigine will hopefully be another good example of just some of the great things that can be done with OpenGL. It will also be interesting to see what kind of problems people have with it - hopefully very few - and how stable it runs (I say that as if it runs great with few problems for anyone, it'd go a long way to shifting more graphics attention to linux).
          OpenGL brings the same capabilities that DirectX does...and in many cases, it's actually easier to use than D3D is.

The main problem lies in that D3D brings the stuff sooner rather than later- basically OpenGL lags behind D3D because the ARB's not innovating until recently and because of a certain corp in Redmond being willing to implement (or define by fiat) functionality quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by sylware View Post
            blobs? Sorry, without me guys.
            Understandable. I can't say that I blame you.

However, until the FOSS Gallium3D drivers get to a stage where the foundation's there for the OpenGL 3.2 functionalities, you're just going to have to wait a while if you're holding that position.

Comment

Well the Win32 version of the benchmark did not fully use OpenGL 3.2 - at least thats what strings reveiled. Basically they could use the extra extensions too for OpenGL2 mode which have got the same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well the Win32 version of the benchmark did not fully use OpenGL 3.2 - at least thats what strings reveiled. Basically they could use the extra extensions too for OpenGL2 mode which have got the same effect.
                Interesting. Guess I'll get to tinker with it a bit once I get my hands on it.

Comment

Using extensions is anyways better as this way you have the functionality no matter if the underlying system actually exposes 3.2 or whatever version you are looking for. A lot less compatibility issues this way too.

Comment

@Svartalf

You can install the msi with wine using

msiexec -i Unigine_Heaven-1.0.msi

I did not get it running however, but

strings Unigine_x86.dll

might be interesting for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X