Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeOrion segfaults on Ubuntu 8.04

Hi all,

I'm encountering an issue running FreeOrion 3.10 on Ubuntu 8.04 (x86 32-bit), on proprietary AMD-ATI drivers (8.9 version).

All other games seem running without issues (Open Arena, Sauerbraten, ...), and using the free radeon driver seems to not solve the problem.

In the OpenGL window, the execution stops at the "Generating Universe and AIs" message, while on the console, the messages are as follows:

I am Symlink. Following into my targets basedir
    CWD: /home/michele/freeorion/application
    HumanClientApp::HandleMessage(HOST_SP_GAME)
    HumanClientApp::HandleMessage(GAME_START)
    HumanClientApp::HandleSaveGameDataRequest(SAVE_GAM E)
    Received save game data from player Happy_Player ... 0 orders received
    Received save game data from player AI_1 ... 0 orders received
    Received save game data from player AI_2 ... 0 orders received
    Segmentation fault
    I've already disabled "Galaxy map gas rendering" and "Optimized system rendering" in the options menu, as those options were encountered to be problematic with certain OpenGL implementations (pre 1.5) by others on the net.

Did others encounter this same issue as me?

Do anybody know the solution, by chance?
    Last edited by allimac; 28 September 2008, 06:10 PM.

Unfortunately I don't think there's enough information here for us to provide a fix or workaround. It may be a problem with the AI code or something that comes after it.

Check on the FreeOnion website for any issues, fixes, and an updated version (if any). Check the forums, and any other resource they have available. If anyone knows, it'll be the creators and code maintainers that can help solve it, better than a general linux gaming forum (no offense guys).

Does FreeOnion have a --help or --verbose function?

Ubuntu is horrible at some apps when it comes to latest and greatest. Transmission is one of them I know of off the top of my head (Ubuntu runs 1.06 when it's now up to 1.34).

Unfortunately I'm not aware of FreeOnion at the moment. My laptop may have better luck, but unfortunately it's an older ATI card and I haven't gotten around to accelerating it, if it even can be (ATi IGP 320M 64MB shared).

What specific video card are you using? Perhaps it may not be capable of running FO. My lappy certainly isn't capable of running WoW and crashed all the time in Windows.
    Last edited by me262; 30 September 2008, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by allimac View Post
      Do anybody know the solution, by chance?
      Well...without any more info than you've provided, there's not a lot anyone can do to help you.

We don't know which card you're attempting to do this game with to start off with (as me262 has pointed out already)- and "Segmentation fault" tells us what happened, but nothing of what it was attempting to do with itself when it died. Moreover, unless you have a data point for an NVidia card, claiming it's the AMD card is a bit off considering that the game is an unstable ALPHA and could have issues with any number of things other than just the display adapter.

Now, we're more than happy to try to sort the problem out (It's a FOSS game on Linux, afterall...) but you're going to have to wait just a smidge as I bring my AMD GPU test box back online and to bring the game over onto it and try to run it. If you're up to trying to build a debug build of their game from source, you can do so, run the game in gdb, DDD, kdbg, etc. and attempt to get us a line in a source file where it's choking so we might get lucky and triage the problem a bit earlier for you. Otherwise, you're going to have to wait a bit.

Comment

Thank you all for evaluating the issue.

The problem seems to be related to the libraries shipped with Ubuntu 8.04.

I suspected the problem was library-related, as I was testing the dynamically linked version, and Ubuntu is famous for these kind of issues...

So, for whoever could encounter this same stopper, there is an unofficial statically-linked build of the same development version (but an older build) at the following address:

Warning: this is for testing purposes only, as this is a development version.

The mentioned file is named: latest.tar.gz.

Again, thank you all.

Comment

This is why I love Gentoo. Any broken libraries can be rebuilt with revdep-rebuild. Sad to see their software quality is slowly deteriorating (from public opinion of what I've read, I'm guessing there's too many packages for them to handle now).

Comment

The problem is not the amount of packages to handle. Allowing more people in can fix this. The problem is overall quality issues. If masked packages break builds, no problem to me, that's what testing is for... but if stable ebuilds more often then some years ago start to break systems then something is wrong. And currently what is wrong is the lack of a concise lead. The gentoo board members are drifting around without a real lead so things are a bit in a desolate state right now.

Comment

Originally posted by allimac View Post
              Thank you all for evaluating the issue.

The problem seems to be related to the libraries shipped with Ubuntu 8.04.

I suspected the problem was library-related, as I was testing the dynamically linked version, and Ubuntu is famous for these kind of issues...
              that's why i hate ubuntu so much it's like MS os full of crap. (it's IMO, ok?)

Otherwise, is this OpenOrion any good?

Comment

Working...
              X