No-backfill still needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-backfill still needed?

I was thinking of reinstalling Ubuntu 9.10 and was wondering if the no-backfill X-server patch was still needed for "a lag free experience with Compiz" if I use Catalyst 10.1 together with my HD4870?

Not the backfill, but the newer backclear patch is needed.

I hear this problem is going to get fixed in a future Catalyst driver release

Comment

Ah, silly me. I was actually thinking of the backclear patch :P

Thanks.

Comment

Here on opensuse 11.2 the backclear patch is still needed.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Not the backfill, but the newer backclear patch is needed.

I hear this problem is going to get fixed in a future Catalyst driver release

A new 2D acceleration mechanism has gone into the 10.2 and 10.3 betas and is in testing. Supposedly it improves performance under composite window managers, but I haven't been able to test it due to unrelated issues in the drivers. They seem to be targeting Compiz, but I expect kwin will also see improvements. Hopefully everything pans out in the end.

Comment

FYI I just installed ubuntu 10.04 with the catalyst drivers v10.3 which came out just yesterday and the no-backfill problem is still there...

Comment

You probably want the backclear patch, not the no-backfill patch.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                You probably want the backclear patch, not the no-backfill patch.
                why are u saying that? I have exactly the same issue with maximizing/minimizing windows in compiz

Comment

Are you using the backclear patch ?
                  Test signature

Comment

It is still needed unless you enable this new 2D acceleration method. It's called 'Direct2D'
                    1. Kill the x server
                    2. Open /etc/ati/amdpcsdb, and under the section [AMDPCSROOT/SYSTEM/DDX]
                    add:
                    Direct2DAccel=STRUE
                    3. Reboot (just in case)

It's still on testing, but its getting pretty stable, at least for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X