Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment EFL Adds "Elua", A Lua JIT App Runtime

Phoronix: Enlightenment EFL Adds "Elua", A Lua JIT App Runtime

The latest addition to the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries is Elua, a Lua-based Just-in-Time application runtime stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

remarks

Hi,

I'm the author of Elua. Keep in mind that the Elementary "example" in no way represents the final API as the testing Elementary binding (which is very minimal) is handwritten and the final ones will be Eolian generated (and nicer, because they'll have property syntax support etc.) - it'd be nice if Michael could make note about this in the article so that it doesn't confuse people. The generated bindings currently are not very useful, as Eolian is still in development and many things are not finalized, preventing me from generating correct binding code. In any case I'm hoping it'll all become somewhat usable for EFL 1.11 release.

The Eina bindings are already usable and useful and the app runtime works, which means command line apps can be written, the Eolian bindings also work.

I'll be looking over the article occasionally so if anyone wants to know anything, I can provide answers.

Comment

There are some Python bindings... are there feature complete/maintained - in a way that there are good examples/docs how to use them to make apps (even simple) similar to what PyQt4/5 can provide on the basic level? Also what are the supported architectures/OS (like ARM single board computer, running/building a binary for non-Linux OS, running on Android?)?

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
        There are some Python bindings... are there feature complete/maintained - in a way that there are good examples/docs how to use them to make apps (even simple) similar to what PyQt4/5 can provide on the basic level? Also what are the supported architectures/OS (like ARM single board computer, running/building a binary for non-Linux OS, running on Android?)?
        kuuko is the maintainer of python-efl and the bindings should be pretty complete, but they're handwritten; he's currently (with some occasional help from me and others) looking into Eolian generation. The supported architectures and OSes for PyEFL should be anything EFL, CPython and Cython can run on.

For ELua, the target is to cover architectures LuaJIT supports, i.e. x86, x86_64, ARM, MIPS, PPC, and major desktop and mobile OSes, i.e. Linux, Windows, OS X, the BSDs, other unix-like EFL and LuaJIT is capable of running on, Android, iOS, Tizen.

Comment

Seems silly to support some esoteric language with little use. Isn't the world moving towards JITed JavaScript nowadays? You could integrate browser and desktop then?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Seems silly to support some esoteric language with little use. Isn't the world moving towards JITed JavaScript nowadays? You could integrate browser and desktop then?
            "some esoteric language with little use" obviously, all those triple A video games, large commercial applications (photoshop lightroom...) and various frameworks don't count, right?

Javascript is a nasty language.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              if your purpose is just to be as trendy as you can - sure - go js. if your purpose is to make the best possible thing, then no. luajit is far smaller than v8 by comparison (about 1/10th the size) and faster too. when you have tight constraints on small devices that have a few hundred mhz at best, and maybe 64m or less of ram... it matters.

also lua is far from esoteric or obscure.

Access Google Sites with a personal Google account or Google Workspace account (for business use).

an absolute mountain of game engines use lua.

Comment

Originally posted by raster View Post

an absolute mountain of game engines use lua.
                Hah, I forgot World of Warcraft interface addons use Lua.

Nice links Raster.

Comment

Working...
                X