Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Will Properly Support KWin With Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Will Properly Support KWin With Catalyst

For those AMD Catalyst users that were concerned by the recent statements of Martin Gr??lin that KWin will likely end up dropping their GL1 renderer, which would eliminate vintage GPU hardware support as well as Catalyst driver support, fear not...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rant!

Dropping the GL1 renderer right now would mean those Catalyst driver users with even the latest Radeon HD 6000/7000 series hardware would be faced by a challenging experience on the KDE desktop.
    Oh give me a break!
    Martin said plenty of times on his blog post that dropping OpenGL 1.x wouldn't mean much for most of the people. There are XRender, and llvmpipe is in the works. Also I can use KWin without compositing, so not an issue here. And if I inevitably need compositing in KDE and Catalyst, I could always stick with 4.8.

I think the most interesting of all this topic is the little fight between Martin and a Fedora Dev for including KDE 4.0 in that distro.

Comment

Cool AMD. Now I know I can update to 7000 series once the drivers support that in coming months.

Comment

Basicially there are preview drivers for hd 7 series. But i would prefer to wait for nv series 6.

Comment

He mentioned me.
          For all the news submits that i've done (including this one)..

Thanks Michael

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
            He mentioned me.
            For all the news submits that i've done (including this one)..

Thanks Michael
            Thanks. It would help if you had your full name on emails... If you haven't noticed in articles, I really hate writing pseudonyms in articles.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
              Oh give me a break!
              Martin said plenty of times on his blog post that dropping OpenGL 1.x wouldn't mean much for most of the people. There are XRender, and llvmpipe is in the works. Also I can use KWin without compositing, so not an issue here. And if I inevitably need compositing in KDE and Catalyst, I could always stick with 4.8.

I think the most interesting of all this topic is the little fight between Martin and a Fedora Dev for including KDE 4.0 in that distro.
              You.. are narrow minded!
              Yes, you can indeed stick to KDE 4.8 "for some time" as in a few month. After that you keep getting more and more updates and eventually you simply have to update because of other packages.

Using XRender is absolutely not an option!

Using llvmpipe/gallium is the narrow minded part. Going for that option indeed does work and gives you a quite good desktop experience, however you lose a lot of other things! If you want to play some game then it's probably not going to work. You can forget high graphics performance, you always have a very noisy loud GPU fan... At this moment gallium is just not feasable for AMD gpu's for fulltime desktop usage. It is for testing it out for some hours. Sure, this state will improve but that needs time - lots of it - and till that point the catalyst driver (however crappy it is) is still the better choice.. sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Thanks. It would help if you had your full name on emails... If you haven't noticed in articles, I really hate writing pseudonyms in articles.
                My full name is known and you can easily find it if you know where to look. However, i prefer to use my "nickname" for forums, news sites and stuff like that.
                Btw. do you plan on attending CBIT? I plan on attending it but it kinda depends on my colleagues if i go. There is KDE news over there (Spark anyone )

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                  You.. are narrow minded!
                  Yes, you can indeed stick to KDE 4.8 "for some time" as in a few month. After that you keep getting more and more updates and eventually you simply have to update because of other packages.

Using XRender is absolutely not an option!

Using llvmpipe/gallium is the narrow minded part. Going for that option indeed does work and gives you a quite good desktop experience, however you lose a lot of other things! If you want to play some game then it's probably not going to work. You can forget high graphics performance, you always have a very noisy loud GPU fan... At this moment gallium is just not feasable for AMD gpu's for fulltime desktop usage. It is for testing it out for some hours. Sure, this state will improve but that needs time - lots of it - and till that point the catalyst driver (however crappy it is) is still the better choice.. sad but true.
                  Well, I sounded like an ass there, it's just that sometimes "news" like this angers me. For a comment in an unofficial bug tracker. And if indeed AMD is working in fixing their driver, how long would they take?

And it's true that fglrx is better than radeon driver, I am not a free-tard. It's just annoying that propietary blobs always take so long to support the "new staff" (ie new X.Org versions).

Comment

Okay im usually not a 'world conspirasy' type yelling.. but doubts arise..

Linux market share grows on desktop -> Xorg old drivers purge -> Kernel KMS+some old hw support drop(starting from device list clean) -> Mesa old drivers purge -> Kwin GL1 purge
                    For god sake is this soo much trouble to keep API version modules build in? Yes bloaty, but more easy to make new api/eye-candy/features while keep compatible with full range of hardware, keep abstract internal api regardless of driver/std on output?. Don't have param or extra param?- whatever just use what you have! XML data parsing rule...
                    I don't see a reason instead of being paid to shoot in own foot.
                    Last edited by SunnyDrake; 25 February 2012, 08:50 PM. Reason: casting flame:)

Comment

Working...
                    X