Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Phoronix: The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

While GNOME has been riding high lately with driving the development of its Wayland-based compositor and being the first major desktop getting there natively for most of its applications, and the overall work on the recent GNOME 3.12 release being fairly exciting, on the foundation side they are running into a budget shortfall and funds are becoming very tight within the GNOME Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alas, brave Honton, thou shalt lead thy rescue!

Comment

The Gnome Foundation basically is an Outreach Program for Women. Thanks to Karen Sandler.

Comment

That's what happens when management uses organisation to push their private political views [1], rather than simply ensuring usability of software they should care of [2].

[1] "The Outreach Program for Women (OPW) helps women (cis and trans) and genderqueer get involved in free and open source software." (https://gnome.org/opw/)
        [2] Think Gnome 3 and its "great" usability.

Comment

Donated 25 euros to KDE and 25 pounds to Kubuntu after reading post. I tried GNOME 3 for 4 months and never got used to it. I can use KDE, Unity, Cinnamin, XFCE, LXDM without feeling anoyed when using them. I spent most of my Linux life using GNOME, but don't anymore.

Comment

Those wishing to support the GNOME Foundation can figure out various donation means by becoming a friend of GNOME.
            i used to donate, but GNOME did everything to convert my status from friend to enemy, lol. i'm guessing it is time for Honton to rescue

Comment

The disaster known as GNOME 3 has turned me off of contributing money to The GNOME Foundation. Love MATE (GNOME 2 fork) though and I will use that when I upgrade to my next distro and will contribute money to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 3G6A5W338E View Post
                That's what happens when management uses organisation to push their private political views [1], rather than simply ensuring usability of software they should care of [2].
                1) Inclusion has for a long time been a public value of the GNOME project. Think of the strong consideration for a11y.
                2) The GNOME Foundation is not a technical decision-making body.

Comment

Red Hat?

I thought Red Hat was the prime contributor to the product!

But it's nothing like hitting rock bottom to clear up the confusion.

I'm more pissed about IOS 7's shitty look than Gnome Shell's attempt at Windows 8.

Thank God Almighty for Fluxbox and Windowmaker.

Comment

Guys this is not about whether KDE or Gnome is better or how unusable gnome is. A free software project out there is in need of funds and we need to save it
                    I think I'll donate 25% of my salary to gnome when I get a job next month

Comment

Working...
                    X