Fedora 18 Will Go For Tmpfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    thats weird, i've never had that issue. however, if there was ever the occasion where something from yaourt failed, i never assumed it was because of the tmpfs.

what i don't get is why don't distros use ramfs? that dynamically expands, so you pretty much only use up what you need.
    Try building kernels with packer. tmpfs will run out of space.

Comment

Originally posted by unix_epoch View Post
      Have they mentioned what video editing and CD/DVD/BD burning programs are supposed to do with their multi-GB temporary files after the switch? Where are we supposed to render our movies and build our ISOs?
      If you read the article, the answer is in it. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/tmp-on-tmpfs is the specification and such programs should be fixed to use /var/tmp instead of /tmp. A direct quote

"My CD burning application writes huge .iso files to /tmp, and this breaks on tmpfs!

The application should be fixed to use /var/tmp. "

Comment

Have the Nvidia binary drivers been fixed? They used to break when /tmp was tmpfs.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyser View Post
          I have been using tmpfs for /tmp and /var/tmp for years and years on my gentoo system. Why is this such a big deal?
          Mine are also tmpfs and I also picked up the habit when a Gentoo user (long since switched to Ubuntu). I have 24 GB for each so I don't have issues with ISOs being created there. On server systems I have 64GB allocated.

I've yet to see a file in /var/tmp - does any software actually use it?

Comment

Originally posted by shiftyphil View Post
            Have the Nvidia binary drivers been fixed? They used to break when /tmp was tmpfs.
            Binary blob has had no problems with this for a while now. I ran my ThinkPad T410 containing an nVidia 3100M in such a configuration ever since I got it back in January 2011. (Don't have that laptop anymore now, though.)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              what i don't get is why don't distros use ramfs? that dynamically expands, so you pretty much only use up what you need.
              It doesn't swap, and an ordinary user can fill the ram with ramfs (=local DOS).

Comment

Already

I already use tmpfs for /tmp today, and have been doing so for a while to save disk writes on my solid-state disk (SSD).

Comment

Originally posted by shiftyphil View Post
                  I have been using Nvidia binary drivers and /tmp on a tmpfs for a long time, and it works perfectly; problem is probably on the mount parameters (avoid "nodev", "noexec", "nosuid", ... in /etc/fstab). Hope this helps.

Comment

We've been doing this since the beginning at Fuduntu, and recommended it for Eee PCs for years before that. It's about time others got on board.

Comment

Originally posted by grotgrot View Post
                      I've yet to see a file in /var/tmp - does any software actually use it?
                      KDE 4.x does.

Comment

Working...
                      X