Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel, Radeon Drivers Become Friendly With Non-Root X Server

Phoronix: Intel, Radeon Drivers Become Friendly With Non-Root X Server

Improvements have landed so far into the Intel and Radeon X.Org drivers for better allowing the X.Org Server to run without root privileges...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that would be most awesome news for me if year was '98 or so right now, i'm just wondering if it wouldn't be better to put those people to work on wayland. ever since i saw wayland in work, all that comes to my mind when thinking about X.Org is "common, die already and be replaced by wayland"

no trolling, just my sentiment, lol

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      that would be most awesome news for me if year was '98 or so right now, i'm just wondering if it wouldn't be better to put those people to work on wayland. ever since i saw wayland in work, all that comes to my mind when thinking about X.Org is "common, die already and be replaced by wayland"

no trolling, just my sentiment, lol
      Well, this may end up helping XWayland as well. Though, of course, the main thing this work is aiming for is multi-seat support.

Comment

It is a shame X.org Server still requires superuser privileges.

I wish this was fixed a decade or two ago.

Comment

inb4 "wtf systemd now depends on Xorg"

Comment

isnt that what has been tried for since 2009 when (re)introducing the KMS drivers? how were they trying to do this without systemd? and why did it take so long???

Comment

Do the proprietary drivers support non-root X? I personally doubt it, but I'd still like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Do the proprietary drivers support non-root X? I personally doubt it, but I'd still like to know.
                No. That is why Fedora which is developing this feature uses a wrapper so that proprietary drivers can still run as root.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  isnt that what has been tried for since 2009 when (re)introducing the KMS drivers? how were they trying to do this without systemd? and why did it take so long???
                  If I remember correctly there were three issues which prevented KMS from being the "Yay! Rootless!" solution.

1) Accessing raw input devices required root I believe.
                  2) Closed source drivers still required root (Now we have the Fedora X-Server wrapper to handle them)
                  3) DRM Master ioctl's required root. That is now handled by Logind AFAIK.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    No. That is why Fedora which is developing this feature uses a wrapper so that proprietary drivers can still run as root.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang...houtRootRights
                    Thanks for confirming.

Comment

Working...
                    X