Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server Support For 4K Ultra HD Monitor Support

Phoronix: X.Org Server Support For 4K Ultra HD Monitor Support

An Intel developer has queued improvements for the X.Org Server in supporting 4K resolution (Ultra HD) HDMI displays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

4K (4096?2160) and Ultra HD (3840?2160) are different things.

Comment

I support this support of support.

Comment

Wait is this only for HDMI 2.0? Is 4K already supported with DisplayPort? I was thinking about getting an Ultra HD monitor in the next month or so, but I don't want to wait 6 months to use it!

Comment

While they're at it, they might as well add support for 8K too.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            4K (4096?2160) and Ultra HD (3840?2160) are different things.
            From what I read media believes Ultra HD is 3840?2160, but is sometimes called 4K because 3840 is near 4000, when it comes about television. So, in the media's view, there's no proper 4K resolution for television.

I found wikipedia docs here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              While they're at it, they might as well add support for 8K too.
              Maybe that's what exactly what they have done. Check it out one more time:
              Originally posted by Phoronix
              The X.Org Server DDC code now needs to read the max TMDS frequency field in the HDMI CEA vendor data block to check the mode dot clock.
              I'm not really familiar with this "CEA vendor data block" (I think it's part of the CEA-861 series, this one dealing with transmitting more data than vanilla EDID using extensions to EDID), so I don't know if it has support for 8K. But if it does, the wording here gives me the impression that 8K should then also end up being supported.

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
                Wait is this only for HDMI 2.0? Is 4K already supported with DisplayPort? I was thinking about getting an Ultra HD monitor in the next month or so, but I don't want to wait 6 months to use it!
                4K resolutions are actually supported by HDMI 1.4b, but not at 60fps - that requires the higher bandwidth of HDMI 2.0. Displayport 1.2 also supports 4K resolutions at 60fps.

Comment

Further to my last comment, although Displayport 1.2 supports 4K resolutions at 60fps, software support for High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) on DisplayPort 1.2 devices has only just landed - see http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU3ODg

Comment

Working...
                  X