3870x2 (8.5 CCC) wont work on newly installed 8.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3870x2 (8.5 CCC) wont work on newly installed 8.04

Its unbelievable for a graphic-card reseller to through a high-end graphic-card on the market without a functionable Driver for linux especially for ubuntu.
    Im waiting since month to get finally work this card.

I tried it with 8.3, radeonhd, 8.4 and the new version 8.47 (8.5).

The hours I spended made me crazy.
    I tried it in all kind of ways, that youll possibly find in the internet.
    I tried it with brand new installation, gutsy gibbon, and hardy, old, differnce kernel-versions
    I tried the ati-driver and the ubuntu way also.
    I tried ever possibility i found in the internet, also to hack the driver.
    What I get is always the same error.

No device......

Here is my System.

MSI 965 Platinum
    Intel 6420 Core Duo 2,13GHz
    Corsair 2 x 1GB (800, 5,5,5,12).
    Apple Cinema HD Monitor 30".

Its now time to say goodbye ATI, and welcome NVIDIA. I`ll take my old NVIDIA 8800 GTS and have fun under Linux.

Thats what i want to say now, because im totally frustrated to lost 450 Euro for nothing.

Sincerely Mardenkain
    Last edited by Mardenkain; 25 May 2008, 09:37 AM.

Mardenkain, I hope it was clear that the 3870x2 was sold as a Windows-only card. We don't support Crossfire on Linux at this time, and without Crossfire a 3870x2 didn't offer any benefit over a single 3870 under Linux. If your dealer told you the card was supported under Linux they were telling you wrong.
    Test signature

Comment

Well you could at least add the pci id as supported card! As it is possible to init the card with a hack not supporting it at all is very stupid, or better call it ATI like!

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

@Mardenkain

You can try my proposed hack - just WITHOUT the sed command - that means use

ChipID 0x9501

override in the Device section and add your 950F in fglrxko_pci_ids.h.

Comment

I bought ONE Card, not TWO. So no crossfire. Or did u mean crossfire on the 3870x2, because this card has two GPUs???
        I have a 30 " Monitor and what i only want is an ordinary resolution under linux from 2560x1600. 3d Acceleration is not so important under linux for me.
        The card runs since month in vesa-mode and vesa supports only 1920x1440.

I tried the hack already, and read your post.
        Sure u are right, my card have this ID.
        But it ends in the same error.
        No device.

I also dont want to start now a new thread and ask for help.
        I tried it to often in to many ways.

When i bought this card, i knew, that this card was not supported, but i thought that it will be in the future.
        Now several month later, ATI are not successful to write a functional driver for a really high-end product for one of the most common linux-systems.
        Its now the second version from ati that officially should support graphic cards of 3x.
        The first one was on 16th. of april and now the last one on 21th of may.
        How long should a coustomer wait???.
        Actually there a new cards on the market, that are newer and faster from NVIDIA for example and if i google for problems i see there are
        not these problems.

Sincerely Mardenkain
        Last edited by Mardenkain; 25 May 2008, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mardenkain View Post
          I bought ONE Card, not TWO. So no crossfire. Or did u mean crossfire on the 3870x2, because this card has two GPUs???
          Right. Crossfire is for multiple GPUs, not just multiple boards. The x2 boards rely on Crossfire to operate; they're just a lot easier to install and configure than a two-board system.

I have a 30 " Monitor and what i only want is an ordinary resolution under linux from 2560x1600. 3d Acceleration is not so important under linux for me. The card runs since month in vesa-mode and vesa supports only 1920x1440.
          For the short term the radeonhd driver should work for you. We patched it a few months back to work with the x2 board; doesn't have 3D yet but should be a lot faster and support more modes than the vesa driver and 3D isn't too far off.

When i bought this card, i knew, that this card was not supported, but i thought that it will be in the future.
          Did your dealer tell you that ? I just want to make sure the right message is being sent through our channels. There are some people posting on the internet that we *do* support 3870x2 under Linux and that is making for some very unhappy customers. I haven't been able to track down a single post though, other than a lot of "I read a post somewhere..." messages.

Its now the second version from ati that officially should support graphic cards of 3x. The first one was on 16th. of april and now the last one on 21th of may.
          Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that we have "officially" announced x2 support in the recent drivers ?
          Last edited by bridgman; 25 May 2008, 11:02 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that we have "officially" announced x2 support in the recent drivers ?
            I think all he wants is the card to be working *at all*. That means one of the two graphics cores should output a dvi-d compatible signal with a resolution of 2560x1600. Nothing more, no fancy 3D acceleration, nothing. Just a plain image in the native resolution of his 30" tft display.

His problem is that the driver does not accept the card at all, no matter if it was crossfire or just "using one of the two chips".

Comment

Got it. The radeonhd driver should do that today. I think the latest ubuntu release (8.04) shipped with radeon (-ati) but there's a good chance that should support the x2 as well.
              Test signature

Comment

Thank u ivaonic. Thats it.
                My Hardware isnt unusual, or isnt it ?

Did i not mention that i tried the radeonhd driver, i thought i did that.
                It ends in the black screen of death on my PC on a brand new installation.

And no, the seller didnt told me that, but yes i expected, that this card will be supportet in the nearby future when I bought it.

@bridgeman.
                Do u really think, that a world seller of graphic-cards will survive, if it will not support HIGH-END products on COMMON LINUX SYSTEMS now and in the future???
                I think not.

Sincerely Mardenkain
                Last edited by Mardenkain; 25 May 2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Did i not mention that i tried the radeonhd driver, i thought i did that.
                  It ends in the black screen of death on my PC.
                  It might be that the version of radeonhd shipped with Ubuntu is too old to include the driver. So maybe try to get the current git version and try this one, it might work.

Comment

oh my god
                    u make me crazy.
                    ok ili give it a try.. ill post the results after trying.

so long

Sincerely Mardenkain

Comment

Working...
                    X