Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 11.7 Driver For Linux Brings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockmanz View Post
    The following sums up my current problems with the drivers (on a 5770)
    1. Lower right corner mouse issue
    Never had the issue myself, I do know of the unsupported card/driver logo, which is annoying. they should really just take it away. But, on Gentoo or using Kanos scripts I never even had that...

2. No support for gnome 3
    The last time I tried Gnome Shell (on a nvidia laptop, using binary blob) it was not only slow, unusable, crashy, but confounded me. In general, the gnome people have been doing more changes in the last few years, that just alienates me. Not a single of my desktops I have deployed uses any form of gnome...

3. Performance in KDE is worse than the OSS drivers. I think it's reasonable to expect windows to minimize without lag on a modern graphics card.
    Performance is slightly less smooth, yes. But not distractingly so for me.

4. Tearing seems to be ever-present. Enabling tear-free desktop introduces microlag which makes watching movies pretty much unbearable.
    True, But I get tearing on my Nvidia blob systems, and recently on my Intel integrated systems too. I suspect that compositing managers and X are all doing it wrong, so there is no way to fix it until someone changes something drasticly.

5. Hardware acceleration for videos is not hassle-free and only works half of the time
    Agreed, they had the chance to be first, and sat on it for 2 years, then released it in a series of incompatible versions, and a loose spec. It only works in VLC for me, and the H264.l5 issue is very annoying.

6. Wine games lag.
    This is a Wine issue. They don't test on anything but the nvidia blob. The amount of nvidia-only features they use is astounding.

In General, there isn't a satisfactory driver out there for Linux, right now.
    Always lacking in some form or another.
    At least the AMD and MESA drivers don't suffer from the "Can't disable VDPAU support in flash, so everytime a flash video plays it draws crap all over the screen, everywhere!"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      Today I tested compiz 0.9.5. But mplayer with vaapi output locked the laptop completely.
      I was thinking of testing this out too.....Have they fixed the mipmap issues? Is there any performance improvements, I'm especially curious if unity is faster at all, because when I was using fglrx both 2d and 3d were much much slower on top of the compiz rewrite version in natty, but then again I don't know what u run as a desktop. A maximized browser couldn't even scroll without significant lag, which was actually what broke the camels back for me using fglrx
      Last edited by chronniff; 28 July 2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chronniff View Post
        I was thinking of testing this out too.....Have they fixed the mipmap issues? Is there any performance improvements, I'm especially curious if unity is faster at all, because when I was using fglrx both 2d and 3d were much much slower on top of the compiz rewrite version in natty, but then again I don't know what u run as a desktop. A maximized browser couldn't even scroll without significant lag, which was actually what broke the camels back for me using fglrx
        What were those mipmap issues?
        Performance is good but my laptop is very powerful too: i5 480M, hd 6550, running xfce. Scrolling does work well - when it works.
        There is often the problem that the displaying of windows gets stuck. Especially after using the window chooser with alt-tab every window's content display gets stuck, the task bar doesn't get updated etc. I don't know if it's fglrx' fault but I suspect so.

Comment

Originally posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
          anyone had the lower right corner freezes ? Then you all know this damn thing makes it almost impossible to use for example a system tray in KDE...
          In KDE? Nope, running openSUSE here, lower right corner behaving just fine.
          Does anyone else than Ubuntu users have this?

Comment

And this is the mid of the 2011... Holy ship!

Comment

A8 APU Support!?

I'm using 11.6 from RPM Fusion (on Fedora 15) to run the graphics on my A8-3850 APU, but it says unsupported hardware. Though it works... ehh... well, it works without failing completely. I tried using the 11.7 driver straight from the AMD website earlier, and the unsupported hardware message goes away. However, their package apparently doesn't configure itself correctly (and I'm not sure what I have to do), since the compositing GNOME Shell refuses to run. I'll keep running 11.6 until the RPM Fusion folks do a version bump, even though there's some issues, such as that annoying, persistent emblem in the lower right corner of my screen that says "Unsupported hardware".

Comment

You can use the /etc/ati/control file from the new ati-installer, just extract it and fetch it from there.

Comment

i only see crappy www corruptions on some pages.
                  and 640x460 while booting and sometimes no logo while system is booting

anyone cal tell me how to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
                    and 640x460 while booting and sometimes no logo while system is booting
                    Catalyst doesn't handle the console. It's only for X11. For booting, you need to use a kernel framebuffer driver like VESAFB.

Comment

I think the freeze when the mouse is moved in the lower right corner is something to do with multiple displays so that is why many people don't have it.
                      For me if I disable the second display and remove the cable it will work fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X