Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.7 + Mesa 9.1-devel Running On Ubuntu 12.10

Phoronix: Linux 3.7 + Mesa 9.1-devel Running On Ubuntu 12.10

For those Intel Sandy Bridge owners wondering if there's any worthwhile performance improvements when upgrading from Ubuntu 12.10 with Mesa 9.0 and the Linux 3.5 kernel up to the early Mesa 9.1-devel state with the Linux 3.7 Git kernel, here are some benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doom3 36 fps

Doom3 36 fps even at low setting, means that the opensource drivers are out of the question for most people who want to play the game.
    It runs really really well on my low-jitter kernel, with the closed source drivers though.

Peace Be With You.

Comment

You can play Doom 3 with those frames actually, but you also fail to consider the fact that those are from an Intel IGP. Please read the article rather than using it merely as an excuse to pimp an idea.

Comment

You can play doom3 at 36 fps? Not really. You can get an idea of it, but the exhilaration of low-jitter 72fps it will not have.

But it was intel. I assumed it was opensource nvidia since the fps was so low.

So intel gfx performs that poorly. Well I appreciate the benchmark anyway.

Comment

PS: Even my mac mini from 2010 plays HL2 ep2 well, and that is much newer. Thats an nvidia 320m processor. (2.4ghz core2duo). Carmack says doom 3 still stresses a lot of hardware, because of the 3 passes he uses to render stuff. Which is also why I linked to my low-jitter kernel, because it runs doom 3 well. (Better than windows).

Comment

Doom 3 was set for 30 fps on console, so yes it is playable.

Comment

Stunt Car Racer on amiga500 was also playable. It was 5 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox Uncreated View Post
                Stunt Car Racer on amiga500 was also playable. It was 5 fps.
                ...so framerates aren't necessarily important?

Comment

You can see for yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn32IgQGrOQ

Comment

I guess the Doom3 benchmarks which are not using ultra settings have got rendering issues. I tested mesa 8.0.4 and 9.0 and got em. The problem you see easyly in the timedemo when the flashlight is used:

I tested sandy and ivy bridge, doom3 native and dhewm3.

Comment

Working...
                    X