Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.1.38 Brings Various Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 1.1.38 Brings Various Fixes

It's time for another bi-weekly development update of Wine. This time around there is better support for memory allocations debugging, improved MIDI support, a wide range of Direct3D fixes, OLEDB fixes, improved debugger support on x86_64, many MSI fixes, and various bug-fixes. Offered up in Wine 1.1.38 is also support for anonymous shaders with the Direct3D 10.0 support along with other enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great! Direct3D 10 keeps getting features, installing is being improved and there are fixes for features that are already there, which are better of working than just being there.

But what should really be focused on right now is DirectInput cursor support (a lot of games are unplayable because of this) now that X.org supports it and out of focus hotkey support (for Ventrilo).

These two fixes would make Wine so much more viable for Windows gaming on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Great! Direct3D 10 keeps getting features, installing is being improved and there are fixes for features that are already there, which are better of working than just being there.

But what should really be focused on right now is DirectInput cursor support (a lot of games are unplayable because of this) now that X.org supports it and out of focus hotkey support (for Ventrilo).

These two fixes would make Wine so much more viable for Windows gaming on Linux.
      tell your friends to use mumble instead of ventrilo

Comment

It brings BTW the 'new' AMD vendor string: http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...70e36de0948255

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
          tell your friends to use mumble instead of ventrilo
          Hahaha... You don't want to know how many times I've asked this. It comes down to "Many people use it, so bla bla bla"

Not even the reduced ping and bandwith and thus also money was going to convince them to step away from ventrilo.

Comment

If you're on Gentoo or Fedora, you should really make this upgrade. An important bug was fixed that breaks IE6/IE7 (among other things) specifically on these distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              If you're on Gentoo or Fedora, you should really make this upgrade. An important bug was fixed that breaks IE6/IE7 (among other things) specifically on these distros.
              I'm currently using Fedora as my main distro but I can't even get Wine to work at all, except for the apps that came along with installing Wine from the official repositories (any game that comes on a disc won't install and Wine just instant quits without giving any console output).

So do I need to profile them for SELinux first or is the issue somewhere else?

Also, I keep getting the SELinux message that wine (which might possibly be spyware calling itself wine) is trying to acces low memmory access on startup of Fedora while I didn't launch it. May it be preload? And should I just not use wine because I would risk getting haxXx0red?

I get this error even when I haven't installed any Windows software yet for Wine...

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                It brings BTW the 'new' AMD vendor string: http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.gi...70e36de0948255
                Mh wow now the FOSS drivers is under VENDOR_MESA and no longer under VENDOR_WINE but in both cases wine report an Nvidia card to the DX Application.

BTW if you force WINE to use VENDOR_ATI for the foss driver some DX apps runs better.

Comment

I'm currently using Fedora as my main distro but I can't even get Wine to work at all, except for the apps that came along with installing Wine from the official repositories (any game that comes on a disc won't install and Wine just instant quits without giving any console output).

Also, I keep getting the SELinux message that wine (which might possibly be spyware calling itself wine) is trying to acces low memmory access on startup of Fedora while I didn't launch it. May it be preload? And should I just not use wine because I would risk getting haxXx0red?

I get this error even when I haven't installed any Windows software yet for Wine...

I can't speak for Fedora as I'm a Gentoo user but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Wine doesn't play nicely with SELinux. Having said that, am I right in thinking that Fedora uses SELinux by default? I would expect that they've done all they can to make sure Wine works properly with it. I doubt the bug I was referring to is related but it was this one.

Comment

When you open up the SELinux Troubleshooter thing, at the bottom click the thing that says something like "expand for more details. In there it has something you can paste into the terminal and it'll let Wine through SELinux. I can't remember what that command is though.

Comment

Working...
                    X