Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Of The New Valve Linux Employees Is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't that the guy who sold nexuiz out to illfonic?

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
      Look on the bright side, if Cryengine ever gets ported you can buy Nexuiz on Steam and get over it.

Comment

Valve had better make Steam and/or Source open source.

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
          Valve had better make Steam and/or Source open source.
          Never going to happen. There are just way too many issues involved with making Steam opensource. Steam is a form of DRM after all.

Comment

Valve better hurry up with hl2ep3/hl3, whatever it's going to be. Although a real native (non wine) linux release of the previous episodes would also be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
              Not as far as I know... he developed the engine not the game and wan't really part of the original Nexuiz developers.

His overall stance seems to have been that of trying to see the best in this comercialization of Nexuiz and got even hired by them to work on the open-source engine (before it was decided that they would switch to the Cryengine). That he seems to be fed up with them and switched to Valve speaks for him I guess, but I would have loved to see some more work on the Darkplaces engine by him too.

But I guess this is a good match as the source engine is supposed to be quite quake like still, so it's similar to Darkplaces... maybe they will even allow for some backporting and open-sourcing of code *keeps kingers crossed*
              Last edited by Julius; 31 May 2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                Although a real native (non wine) linux release of the previous episodes would also be awesome.
                I'm still waiting for a native HL (the first one) port. I hear the game is really good

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  I'm still waiting for a native HL (the first one) port. I hear the game is really good
                  And you're not at all wrong. The single player campaign is good, but the multi-player mode is also more fun to play than Counter-strike. In fact, Half-life is one of the few games we still occasionally play with my friends. I'm going to a big LAN party soon, and guess which one game I'll be taking with me.

On a USB stick to share with my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I wonder if we will see any work from Valve into X.org, Wayland, DRI, Mesa, Gallium3D, the OpenGL and OpenCL state tracker, etc.
                    To the open-source radeonhd and nouveau drivers?
                    Ideally, I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't. That stuff should be ready and accepting for others to use, not to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                      Ideally, I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't. That stuff should be ready and accepting for others to use, not to fix.
                      Ideally. Should be. I don't think it's Valve's job either, but what else could they do? The games rely heavily on the graphics stack after all.

I still predict problems. I don't see the performance of the drivers/games matching the performance of their Windows siblings any time soon. I hope we'll gradually get there over time, but it'll be a rocky road.

Linux is worse than Windows when it comes to gaming performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X