Notes on Acer Aspire One 522

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by repatch View Post
    Interesting. Well, worst case, it's just a mini-pcie card, you can replace it with another card that is better supported by your distro. They go for about $30 where I'm at.
    When I opened mine for my memory upgrade (2GB, which was extremely worth it), I looked for mini PCI-E slots. There is one missing slot (solder points on mobo, but no slot... ) and there is a half-height Broadcom 2 antenna unit in a real slot. I've considered swapping to a combo Bluetooth + 802.11n unit, but haven't found any deals on models that also have reported success in Linux.

Comment

AMD Drivers

AMD today added E & C series APUs under to the driver selection widget on AMD home page. The driver packaging version version is 8.12-110104a-111995C-ATI (is this actually new? I don't think it is.)

I replaced the Broadcom wifi with atheros card nicked from old eepc100ha before reinstalling OpenSuSE 11.3, used the c50 driver from AMD.

Anyhow have had no more lockups even when doing mean things to the wifi. So maybe the lockups were more of a Broadcom thing?

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
        So maybe the lockups were more of a Broadcom thing?
        I definitely can confirm the freezes while I am on Atheros.
        The strange thing is: as long as I only stick with a combination of iwconfig/ifconfig/dhclient everyting is fine and stable and I did not see any freeze. But as soon as a wicd or networkmanager come into the game (especially when scanning in the boot up phase) I get freezes as soon as the desktop environment was started.

I observed this in two combinations: Ubuntu/frglx/networkmanager and Gentoo/xorg-ati/wicd.

Now more obscure: when I skip the initial scan, I can engage wicd without any problems. It scans and find networks but it will not connect. At the same time I can connect with iwconfig/dhclient easily. So wicd seems to make a specific call which triggers the freezing.

Best regards!

Comment

Sound problems

Btw, what is your experience with sound?
          Did anyone manage to hear something useful from the internal microphone? And is jack vs. internal speakers working?

I have only terrible disturbed sound from the internal microphone.
          Under gentoo (using Alsa 1.0.23 or 1.0.24), when configuring generic hda-intel (but not conexant) I get jack-output and internal speaker but only at the same time. External mic is working.

Using Ubuntu and Alsa 1.0.23 and hda-intel generic interal speaker will switch off, when plugging in jack-output. But still no internal mic.

When I compile in the conexant option for hda-intel, it detects a completely different chip, shows different controls and almost nothing is working. However the chip seems to be a conexant chip (either Conexant ID 5068 or Conexant ID 20584).

Can anybody point me to the correct sound configuration?

Best regards!

Comment

@hoohoo

I would like to test broadcom, i wrote a wl dkms script but never used it. Did you try wl?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @hoohoo

I would like to test broadcom, i wrote a wl dkms script but never used it. Did you try wl?
              Yes. Initially I thought I had to use b43.ko from OpenSuSE 11.3 (kernel 2.6.34) but it did not work. No error messages, but no interface either.

I downloaded the driver code (which is wl.ko, which is how I found out the correct driver) from Broadcom (see above in this thread) and it did work.

OpenSuSE 11.3 DVD installer did not recognise the Broadcom chip (BCM4313) nor set up wpa_supplicant or any KDE/Gnome wifi controls, nor set up the ifcfg file for the Broadcom. So none of the infrastructure for wifi was in place. I ran wpa_supplicant manually then stuck it's invocation in /etc/init.d/boot/local when I got it worked out. I ran wpa_gui, suid, as regular user and was able to connect to my access point and use the Broadcom device.

Because I just hacked the wifi in, whenever I switched between wired & wireless the routing table would be out of date. PITA, so I switched to an Atheros wifi card.

Comment

Sound

Originally posted by areichel View Post
                Did anyone manage to hear something useful from the internal microphone? And is jack vs. internal speakers working?

I have only terrible disturbed sound from the internal microphone.
                Under gentoo (using Alsa 1.0.23 or 1.0.24), when configuring generic hda-intel (but not conexant) I get jack-output and internal speaker but only at the same time. External mic is working.

Using Ubuntu and Alsa 1.0.23 and hda-intel generic interal speaker will switch off, when plugging in jack-output. But still no internal mic.

When I compile in the conexant option for hda-intel, it detects a completely different chip, shows different controls and almost nothing is working. However the chip seems to be a conexant chip (either Conexant ID 5068 or Conexant ID 20584).

Can anybody point me to the correct sound configuration?

Best regards!
                There is a post on Ubuntu forums "522 Smiles and Frowns" thread from a person who tried Gentoo and he said with Gentoo the sound card did mute internal speakers when headphones were plugged in.

One thing I noticed is Win7 said the BC wifi was either BCM4312 or BCM4315, OpenSuSE had no idea. When I pulled the card out it is labeled BCM4313.

So perhaps we are dealing with a Conexant chip that is just a bit different from established & known chip?

This is the first really new piece of H/W for Linux I've bought in years. I'm out of date on audio modules. So my weekend project is how to crash my 522 by playing with Conexant audio modules!

Comment

Originally posted by areichel View Post
                  OpenSuSE 11.3 results...

Internal speakers are not muted when I plug in headphones.

KDE4 offers "HD Audio Generic" and "HDAATI SB" devices.

"HD Audio Generic" has a single check box labelled "IEC95|" (yes that's a pipe).
                  "HDAATI SB" offers a master volume channel, and "Mic" and "Mic 1" channels.

Same for LXDE and XFCE.

I have no idea what is going on. There are more channels: Win7 has the full suit of controls, something is not working on the Linux side.

Comment

Same me -- it should sufficient to open alsamixer.
                    I still wonder it loads hda-generic. When I provide had-intel-conexant it will be loaded, providing a lot of more options, but muting external jacks both.

The best!

Comment

@hoohoo

I never heard about those issues with Kanotix, but if you don't need the broadcom wlan card feel free to send it to me, then i can test it myself. Maybe it is better than the r8192e_pci kernel module which never worked for my current card - only ndiswrapper works with it, but that at least perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                      X