GLCS: A Better Version Of GLC For Linux Game Capturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing Market

With Linux as a growing market, it's just plain silly to make any new app and not have a GUI. People coming to Linux now expect a GUI and may very well happily go back to their slave chains if all the Linux programmers are going to offer are Shell Scripts and DIY Command Line typings. Think about it this way: If they leave, it's your fault for your 90's nostalgia of the Command Line. No disrespect intended, it's just the facts of the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
      With Linux as a growing market, it's just plain silly to make any new app and not have a GUI. People coming to Linux now expect a GUI and may very well happily go back to their slave chains if all the Linux programmers are going to offer are Shell Scripts and DIY Command Line typings. Think about it this way: If they leave, it's your fault for your 90's nostalgia of the Command Line. No disrespect intended, it's just the facts of the matter.
      Look at it from this view: What's better, making a CLI app or making no app at all?
      Think about the possibility of a not-so-experienced developer writing a GUI for it, too. Nobody is stopping any developer from doing this and with all the IDEs out there it should be fairly simple, even a developer which sees a screen recorder over his head should be able to do it (I bet I could if I really wanted to and I'm all other than experienced).

Also after all nobody forces you to use this. Feel free to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        Look at it from this view: What's better, making a CLI app or making no app at all?
        Think about the possibility of a not-so-experienced developer writing a GUI for it, too. Nobody is stopping any developer from doing this and with all the IDEs out there it should be fairly simple, even a developer which sees a screen recorder over his head should be able to do it (I bet I could if I really wanted to and I'm all other than experienced).

Also after all nobody forces you to use this. Feel free to ignore it.
        Best of all worlds - design your user-facing applications as API libraries, provide a CLI client if you don't want to write the GUI on top of that, or provide all 3. Keep them discrete projects, though - that way you can have all 3 primary consumers of your software satisfied (other programs via APIs, sysadmins by your CLI, and muggles by your GUI). And you can have your dependencies discretized, so that if someone just wants to use your application internally they can just bundle the library, or if you are putting it on a server just bundle the CLI and library.

I also find that by designing software like this, it makes unit tests a cinch - you have your interaction firmly defined in an API, so it is really easy to add test harnesses there for conformance and boundaries checking to help avoid exploits.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
          Thank you for your very valid comment. Here is what I can say:

1. GUI isn't my thing. Feel free to contribute your expertise!
          2. You do not appear to understand the UNIX philosophy

glcs is providing a mecanism. Other programmers can take it and integrate into their own GUI. Monolitic design or software that tries to do everything is evil :-)

I did apply this very principle by leveraging a specialized tool (ffmpeg) instead of attempting to do everything myself.

In fact, I know at least 2 projects that provides a GUI for the original GLC:

gamecaster: https://launchpad.net/gamecaster
          soulcapture: https://piga.orain.org/wiki/Soul%20Capture

Comment

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
            Thank you for your very valid comment. Here is what I can say:

1. GUI isn't my thing. Feel free to contribute your expertise!
            2. You do not appear to understand the UNIX philosophy

glcs is providing a mecanism. Other programmers can take it and integrate into their own GUI. Monolitic design or software that tries to do everything is evil :-)

I did apply this very principle by leveraging a specialized tool (ffmpeg) instead of attempting to do everything myself.

In fact, I know at least 2 projects that provides a GUI for the original GLC:

gamecaster: https://launchpad.net/gamecaster
            soulcapture: https://piga.orain.org/wiki/Soul%20Capture
            we need something like this http://www.fraps.com/ , and not the amatorial programs that we have just now

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              we need something like this http://www.fraps.com/ , and not the amatorial programs that we have just now
              You mean this? (simple screen recorder)

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                You mean this? (simple screen recorder)

I doesn't work well for me :/, I can't choose the microphone if I use the sound of the game :/

Comment

I doesn't work well for me :/, I can't choose the microphone if I use the sound of the game :/
                  Open a bug report / feature request or, if you have the skills, code that for yourself into SSR.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                    Open a bug report / feature request or, if you have the skills, code that for yourself into SSR.

I won't do a feature request for a basic task like this. I won't code, If I will do a programm in linux, this will have an EULA license.

Comment

I won't do a feature request for a basic task like this. I won't code, If I will do a programm in linux, this will have an EULA license.
                      So you won't do anything but want everything to work for free. But if you would be doing something you want money for that? (I assume by "EULA license" (doesn't make sense) you mean you want to charge money for use). That's the spirit

Comment

Working...
                      X