Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    There has been a lot of advancement on that area in the recent years. For example thanks to Git the master branch ...
    Having a branch in git is a tool. A great one, but that doesn't fix stuff magically.

Assuming that you are Orzel in KDE bug tracker then you have not reported a single bug for Plasma or Nepomuk (unless I'm missing something). Most seem to be fixed too. If not then please point me to the bugs you are refering to.
    This is me. I didn't report bug for plasma/nepomuk because I did not use them. My only concern was to get rid of them, which could be achieved by a mix of configuration / few local patches.
    Later on, when facing nepomuk/plasma problems on friends/family computers, i had stopped hoping for anything useful from the bugtracker, so i had stopped wasting time reporting bugs there.

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
      Having a branch in git is a tool. A great one, but that doesn't fix stuff magically.
      It doesn't fix anything but the developement model that it allows reduces the changes of things going wrong.

First, because if this was true, then we could happily use KDE and just ignore such garbage. But it is not possible. All those so-said "technologies" they are so proud of are deeply connected / interlocked, and this is design decision (or lack of) at the very core of KDE, not in applications. The user is forced to have all this ugly mysql / java / whatever stuff killing his ressources.
      Akonadi is only started on demand (I for one don't use it at all currently) and Nepomuk can be disabled from system settings. Nepomuk hasn't used Java since forever.

Unfortunately, indeed, there are a lot of garbage one, and 'akregator' is actually the worse i've seen. Have any developper ever has a look at the code in the last 10 years ?
      It was quite a dead project for a long time. Akregator 2 will be available in KDE SC 4.11, it has been ported to Akonadi among other things.

More or less the same way they do with plasma so that any badly written plasmoid will kill your whole plasma (that is, if plasma doesn't kill itself before). And believe me, there are some very badly written plasmoid.
      This will fortunately be fixed in Plasma 2 with the complete port to QML. Many core plasmoids have already been ported to QML and I if I'm not mistaken they can't bring down Plasma anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Rewritten taskbar was SUPPOSED to hit 4.10 but the developer didnt finish it so its been pushed back to 4.11...unfortuntately.
        whaattt?!?!

Comment

Another major improvement that KDE can do is to drop support for BSDs as they are irrelavent and don't cooperate and slow the project down.

Gnome has done this and they are making great advances.

Comment

Originally posted by systemd rulez View Post
            Another major improvement that KDE can do is to drop support for BSD...
            KWin already did. I don't think the rest will follow though.

Comment

Originally posted by boast View Post
              whaattt?!?!
              Yeah sorry Boast. (Hopefully) Up-To-Date listing of all QML porting: http://community.kde.org/Plasma/QMLPorting

The applet in question is "Task Manager" which is assigned to " <[email protected]> " unfortunately there's no "Location" filled in for a git url so if you want you could email him and ask him what the progress on it is and what the git url is.

If you do, be sure to post it here in the forums so we all know.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Akonadi is only started on demand (I for one don't use it at all currently) and Nepomuk can be disabled from system settings. Nepomuk hasn't used Java since forever.
                I remember that on some eeepc, it was not even possible to start, so I had to ssh to the computer without the user trying to log in and disable nepomuk. Settings aren't everything, sane defaults are great too. But this is minor, i agree.

Last time i checked it was not so easy to get rid of akonadi. But granted, it was some times ago.

It was quite a dead project for a long time. Akregator 2 will be available in KDE SC 4.11, it has been ported to Akonadi among other things.
                Will it ? They've said so for the last.. 5 "major" releases i guess.. ? more maybe ?
                And.. how to say it. "porting to akonadi" sounds to me like "adding even more mess".
                And anyway, this is not the solution as akregator code is really ugly. I doubt that it is worth to port it to <whatever>. Better rewrite it, this would be a lot more efficient. And this time, prevent teenage monkeys to access the code for it.

This will fortunately be fixed in Plasma 2 with the complete port to QML. Many core plasmoids have already been ported to QML and I if I'm not mistaken they can't bring down Plasma anymore.
                Will it ? I'll wait to check this as I've seen such kind of promesses for too long. They are good as writing todo list (which is ok, techbase is really great), but they are less than good at keeping the lists updated, and bad at actually doing those. This issue is huge and has been known forever.

Comment

You remove every plasmoid your distro has installed by default, and you dont install any new.
                  This line alone proves that you are lying. A KDE desktop without any Plasma applets is 100% empty and then there is still the Plasma-based containment rendering the wallpaper.

Again: Piss off to some Xfce or so forum. People may believe you there.

This boost your average time between crashes and prevent memory use to explode.
                  Plasma neither crashes these days not does it eat up large amount of memory.

And of course, you kill Amarok, but plasma is not the only reason why.
                  Amarok is not even the default KDE music player.

Comment

I remember that on some eeepc, it was not even possible to start, so I had to ssh to the computer without the user trying to log in and disable nepomuk.
                    Lie.

Last time i checked it was not so easy to get rid of akonadi. But granted, it was some times ago.
                    And again a lie. Akonadi was never ever mandatory for the desktop itself. Individual apps may rely on it but that's it.

Comment

KWin already did.
                      Sure? I've read that Martin himself is not interested in maintaining the BSD support in KWin but that does not mean that others don't do it.
                      He changed his plans several times already (eg. killing scripting was once on his agenda before he realized that reworking scripting results in easier to maintain effects).

Comment

Working...
                      X