NVIDIA 173.08 Linux Display Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad regressions

2d has always been slow since using mobile G8x parts. However this driver release has some really bad performance regressions related to 2d and 3d.

for me this driver is unusable... I wonder what the point is of releasing a driver like this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
      2d has always been slow since using mobile G8x parts. However this driver release has some really bad performance regressions related to 2d and 3d.

for me this driver is unusable... I wonder what the point is of releasing a driver like this at all.
      Well it works fine for the large majority of users and it offers 2.6.25 support. I have a feeling it will be a short lived beta with 2.6.25 going gold this upcoming week.

Comment

does this driver carry big performance git on 8800gt for example?

Comment

On the Quadro NVS285 and NVS290 the 2D performance with this driver is also disastrous. We already went back to 171.06.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
            does this driver carry big performance git on 8800gt for example?
            Too little of a delta to accurately say that there is a performance increase. Maybe a 1- 2% spread that can be easily dismissed as regular benchmark variance that can occur even benching the same driver twice with the same benchmarks.

Comment

I found this release improved 2d speed on my computer. the previous beta was crapola. FF lagged considerably when closing tabs. This version not so much.

Comment

At least it is very easy to switch between drivers. There are several with 2.6.24 support and if needed there is an official 2.6.25 patch.

Comment

i always considered their proprietary linux drivers as very good. what's going on here?

on second thought, any driver compared to ati's fglrx will shine ;-)

looks like new gfx cards bring only trouble for linux users.

Comment

Ahah!

So now we see.

Kernel developers rip out init_mm(), claiming it's just plain old, bad and no one in-kernel uses it.

Nvidia pitches a hissy fit.

VMware breaks, fix ETA who knows.

Kernel developers trample on.

Nvidia releases updated, fixed driver, with init_mm() stuff all removed. 2D gets noticably slower.

Wonder what was using init_mm(), eh?

Comment

I have a 8400m gs on my notebook and 7300gs on my desktop. Both seem to be running fine on 173.08 drivers. In fact, I didn't know there are 2D issues until I read it in Phoronix forums. Perhaps there are issues as window moving seems to leave a trail. But frankly, scrolling is acceptable (even n gmail), though it could be faster.Pretty usable overall. I don't play UT2004 where most people complain about. But I do play Doom3 and it seems to be all fine.

All said, I must add that I am a more or less a pretty satisfied Nvidia user. And correct me if I am wrong, at the moment, Nvidia cards are the only ones which support compiz fully.

And I was surprised about Intel. A lot is said about their working drivers, but to my shock, it was nowhere near perfect when I used it. I had xorg 7.3 (xorg-server 1.3.0.) and xf86-video-i810-2.1.1, which are not too old on a friend's dell notebook with intel 945. The shadows were white. Serious problems with video. Most notably if I move the movie window, the movie stays in the original position until moving is complete.

About ATI - I tried the fglrx 8.471.3 on my sister's intel imac with radeon x1600, and seems to be all good without composite. With compiz-fusion, there is terrible frame-tearing. The only way around was changing video-out from xv to x11 (which is presumably software-rendered and looks pixelated). Hopefully, they solve this and also help the AGP card owners .

Comment

Working...
                      X