Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.16: Deadline I/O Scheduler Generally Leads With A SSD

Phoronix: Linux 3.16: Deadline I/O Scheduler Generally Leads With A SSD

There's been numerous requests lately for more disk I/O scheduler benchmarks on Phoronix of the Linux kernel and its various scheduler options. Given that there's routinely just speculation and miscommunication by individuals over the best scheduler for HDDs/SSDs, here's some fresh benchmarks for reference using the Linux 3.16 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux 3.16: Deadline I/O Scheduler Generally Leads With A SSD

There's been numerous requests lately for more disk I/O scheduler benchmarks on Phoronix of the Linux kernel and its various scheduler options. Given that there's routinely just speculation and miscommunication by individuals over the best scheduler for HDDs/SSDs, here's some fresh benchmarks for reference using the Linux 3.16 kernel.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20638
    This is interesting, I seem to recall Noop being the fastest on SSDs? I might need to change my Udev rule now.

Comment

I don't understand how you can conclude that it's the SSD that makes deadline faster since you didn't test any HDD. Maybe it's the same story with a HDD and the difference between the schedulers lies somewhere else.

Comment

Is Deadline the default I/O scheduler in Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          No it's CFQ. He has done benchmarks before that shows that CFQ is the fastest in most scenarios on HDDs.

Comment

On Ubuntu I think it is. The other distros and the kernel all default to CFQ, I think.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              No it's CFQ. He has done benchmarks before that shows that CFQ is the fastest in most scenarios on HDDs.
              so if I only use an SSD I should switch to deadline?

Comment

so if I only use an SSD I should switch to deadline?
                It seems so. It's possible to write a udev rule that detects if it's a rotational medium or solid state, and set the scheduler accordingly. I have Noop for SSDs and CFQ for HDDs. I think it will choose Noop for USB thumbsticks and the like too.

Comment

I have a eepc notebook with extremely slow SSD. What I've noted over the years is that I don't really care how fast the disk is, but whether or now the desktop remains responsive when a backgroud process is pounding the disk. Typically, can I continue web browsing while synaptic/apt is updating packages?

In the above scenario I've noted that changing scheduling and priority for synaptic and children had a large effect. Also note that on the same machine with windows xp while starting firefox/thunderbird the machine, even the mouse pointer freezes for 10 - 30 sec. (due to long stall caused by windows fsync equivalent), while doing the same on Linux is workable.

I wonder if such a scenario if sufficiently convered by the bench marks.

Comment

CFQ is supposedly already tweaked for SSDs.

From https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...fq-iosched.txt

CFQ has some optimizations for SSDs and if it detects a non-rotational
                    media which can support higher queue depth (multiple requests at in
                    flight at a time), then it cuts down on idling of individual queues and
                    all the queues move to sync-noidle tree and only tree idle remains. This
                    tree idling provides isolation with buffered write queues on async tree.

Comment

Working...
                    X