Simple graphics switching through BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple graphics switching through BIOS

Please help me out here, I'm loosing hope. No one has been able to help me with what seems to be a trivial issue.

Basic problem description:
    Notebook with switchable graphics (old generation)
    Catalyst driver installed for the AMD chip
    Once the notebook is switched to use the AMD graphics and booted, switching back to Intel graphics brakes the graphics configuration (fallback mode etc.).

More details here (comprehensive description):
    Last edited by Bucic; 13 March 2013, 04:19 PM.

I offer 20 bucks for solving the problem. PayPal only though. Not much but hey, consider it a good beer

Comment

Well you could use a special detection to switch to the fglrx legacy in the initrd. Maybe install Kanotix and i could help you.

Comment

Do you mean - prepare the live version for use and test if it boots correctly?

Comment

I asked the same question on Fedoraforums http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1649182 Since this topic has more views, lets continue here, unless you don't have Phoronix account.

The bounty is up, $33 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
            Catalyst driver installed for the AMD chip
            You really need fglrx instead of radeon?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              You really need fglrx instead of radeon?
              Radeon is still 30-60 % slower than Catalyst and only has OpenGL 3.1 support (while Catalyst has 4.2).

Comment

Yes, I do need it.

If no one is able to provide a soultion, I'll go dual boot when Fedora 19 comes out. My normal system will by Fedora default with Intel graphics. The other will be a barebone Fedora with LXDE and Catalyst installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  Yes, I do need it.

If no one is able to provide a soultion, I'll go dual boot when Fedora 19 comes out. My normal system will by Fedora default with Intel graphics. The other will be a barebone Fedora with LXDE and Catalyst installed.
                  I don't think it's possible to do that. I previously tried to set up a dual boot with Fedora 10 (x86) and Fedora 10 (x64) so that I can use the x86 version to watch anime streams using Flash, and the x64 version for everything else; the installer always ended up clearing out one of the OS installed.

Comment

My suggestion would be for you to KICKstart the funding for working dynpm for radeon opensource driver.
                    Because its just a matter of few years till your card will be unsupported, so why invest money there?
                    Xorg log when you install catalyst and switch to intel will help you. Probably some module or some library replaced and loading with intel hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X