Mozilla Firefox 26 Is Shipping Today With Fun Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
    Yes, there is an open bug in this regard.
    It seems that libnotify doesn't support all of the features required by web notification, so libnotify support has been dropped.
    Yes i know this. So is there a plan to update/modify libnotify or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by VinzC View Post
      Wow! that is quite some time! What CPU does your notebook have? (I guess you scream when you have to go through updates of things like qt-*, gcc, glibc, wxwidgets... ;-) )
      AMD E-350, it's not that bad because I use my notebook to normal user tasks (internet, texts, videos, music, downloads, movies, programming etc). It would be much worse if I was a video/audio pro hahaha
      Anyway, I have hope I'll have money for buy a new notebook next year (maybe with a 3rd generation i3?)

On-topic: What is the advantage of using gstreamer to play h.264 in firefox? From what I read in wikipedia it will pipes the videos to some decoder (maybe mplayer2 or ffmpeg). Is someone already using this feature?

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
        On-topic: What is the advantage of using gstreamer to play h.264 in firefox? From what I read in wikipedia it will pipes the videos to some decoder (maybe mplayer2 or ffmpeg). Is someone already using this feature?

It would allow hardware decode acceleration via vdpau.

Comment

Convenience for the end user. Vimeo (and other sites that don't support webm) for example works.

Comment

Originally posted by VinzC View Post
            Geez! That darn thing takes me more than 90 minutes to compile on my Gentoo laptop! (Core 2 Duo T9400, 2.53 GHz.) Only [Libre/Open]Office with more than 4 hours takes more time! I remember the good days it took less than half an hour just a few years ago on the same machine...
            make -j[number of CPU cores you have] makes a big difference, my friend. As does hyperthreading. And more cores.

Comment

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
              make -j[number of CPU cores you have +1] makes a big difference, my friend. As does hyperthreading. And more cores.
              Ftfy. o________o

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                Ftfy. o________o
                Why +1, Dee? I never understood why everyone always goes for +1 since if one job takes up one core... why would you want to give it more than it can handle? Wouldn't it force the CPU to suspend one of the other jobs to kick that one in?
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Why +1, Dee? I never understood why everyone always goes for +1 since if one job takes up one core... why would you want to give it more than it can handle? Wouldn't it force the CPU to suspend one of the other jobs to kick that one in?
                  Because generally your running jobs have occasional stalled time when they are waiting on something (like I/O) and not doing any actual work - and your +1 job can fill in nicely on all x cores whenever that happens. Suspending jobs shouldn't really take any extra time, so the idea is to make sure that the pipeline is always full and your CPU is always busy with something, rather than risk it running dry for short times. You limit it to +1 instead of more than that, to avoid excessive unnecessary swapping which doesn't gain you anything but can kill caches, etc.

The exact optimal number varies based on both the project you are compiling and the details of your hardware, but the +1 is a good general starting point.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 12 December 2013, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    I'm pretty sure it was added in version 27, so 6 more weeks for most people.
                    Yes, see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=861266

Also, note that TLS 1.1 was disabled for Firefox 26 because a last-minute compatibility issue was found with https://mymedicare.gov. See comment 67 in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=733647 for more details. If you don't use that site and you want to use TLS 1.1 you can go to about:config and change the value of security.tls.version.max from "1" to "2".

Comment

Re: the last part of your question - it should be working on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" which has gstreamer 0.10 but not gstreamer 1.0. See https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstreamer0.10 and https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gstreamer1.0 - As Ericg said in comment #3, gstreamer 1.0 support is coming to Firefox soon. Of course if you want to use the Radeon UVD support (via VDPAU) you will need to install a 3.10 or later kernel PPA on the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - that is assuming that gstreamer actually supports VDPAU - does anyone know? If you want to use this with VA-API on Ubuntu you will have to install gstreamer-vaapi from universe - it's an old version though.

I've got an Ubuntu 12.04.1 LiveCD here so I'll report back once I've booted it, installed the gstreamer plugins and updated Firefox.

Comment

Working...
                      X