Wine 1.5.10 Defaults To D3D Off-Screen Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, let's not talk about me...

ANYONE that wants to play ETQW native and use the build-in VOIP, PulseAudio is total c**p for the simple reason that as soon as you press ANY of the VOIP keys, game crashes.

Taking in account that ETQW is, IMHO, the best *native* FPS for Linux (and even after Valve games are ported, it will continue to be the BEST FPS, IMHO, YMMV) , that's real bad.

There many people reporting problems with other native games with PA so, it's not only a problem of WINE...is a wide spread problem but with PA.

As for two sound cards under ALSA i used to have it but wasn't easy and , IIRC, not working at same time, Eventually i removed one because i really didn't need two cards, my GC uses HDMI exclusive to exit video (but because TFT monitor uses still a VGA, it has a converting plug, sound is not by it , monitor doesn't have speakers witch i consider a good thing because give me total freedom to use whatever i want as speakers goes...i like my games audio loud to piss of neighbours

Ooooppssss....i talked about me

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      PulseAudio is essential for anybody that wants actually usable system
      ? and you call others trolls?

Anyway thanks for the information that Michael wouldn?t give, mattst88!

Comment

When the audio starts stuttering after a Wine update, I think it is more than fair to blame Wine. And I am playing plenty of native games - including ET:QW - without issues.

But I am sorry that I opened up this can of worms if we are just to get another PA rant thread. Especially when it was over one rather innocuous vent.

Comment

Just re-refresh(installed) steam with 1.5.10 now all the text is blank 8( I can't play RO2..

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            OK, let's not talk about me...

ANYONE that wants to play ETQW native and use the build-in VOIP, PulseAudio is total c**p for the simple reason that as soon as you press ANY of the VOIP keys, game crashes.
            Right, The game crashing is /totally/ PA's fault. Just like all problems in Blender are caused by firefox and all problems in Gimp are caused by irssi. Maybe we should blame the programs that are unstable for their crashes rather than blaming random 3rd party stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
              It improves performance dramatically in some games, at least on Intel where we hit a fallback. I ran into this a few months ago and did some profiling. See http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ch/020088.html

Starcraft II performance for me on SNB went from 3 to 25 FPS by enabling AlwaysOffscreen. Now, it's on by default.
              Ah, thanks for answering this question (not that i asked it), but i jumped into this thread, very specifically, to find this answer. So thanks

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              Not another PulseAudio thread...

The sound stutters in Wine and only in Wine, therefore it is Wine's problem. Not anything else's.
              You may actually want to look into this a bit further, Wine developers have commented on PA on many occasions - and the way they see it, certainly does not gel with what you are saying. This may not be the case anymore, but with PA it used to be a case of PA not keeping up (requiring more latency vs. ALSA/OSS/CoreAudio), i am not sure how well PA2.0 works (i don't have it installed) but have heard the situation has improved (although from some comments in this thread, maybe not enough). So i don't care to get into some debate over PA + wine, especially when the article/thread isn't really about it.

I have noticed that there exists a branch of wine, that is more geared for multimedia and obviously supports pulse - and tries to improve audio in wine via some patches, PA and other improvements/fixes;

Archlinux package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=52143

Wine-Multimedia git: http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/multimedia.git

I don't really know much about it, because for my own Wine usage i am using wine-rt - which is wine patched for RT / Jack audio connection kit usage. I am mainly running VSTs via FSThost with only the odd other (wine) audio app / utility, which wouldn't require using ALSA (directly) or PA, anyway. (Jackdbus is my soundserver (using ALSA backend).

anyway, i just thought i would post the wine-multimedia branch for those who might be interested.

cheerz
              Last edited by ninez; 31 July 2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I second this

I'm with bachinchi; the entire purpose of the article was to announce WINE defaulting to "off-screen rendering", yet never bothered to explain what that was or what it could mean for users. As such, it was completely useless for most readers.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  Could you please go troll somewhere else? What makes you think that anybody cares that you can manage with just ALSA? PulseAudio is essential for anybody that wants actually usable system or owns modern hardware like bluetooth headsets or multiple soundcards or HDMI monitors or multichannel setups or.... WINE lacking proper PulseAudio is a real problem not so much PA itself.
                  Off the main topic here (WINE).

I normally stay out of the PA debates as it usually "just works" for me... Just yesterday on Arch I was trying to play a video w/audio through HDMI from an NVIDIA card (using proprietary drivers) using VLC and had extremely distorted sound. Switching from PA to ALSA and selecting the proper output (annoying as 4 HDMI audio devices were listed with same name) actually resolved the sound issue. Would you blame VLC for that too?

Comment

Considering it is an actively developed project and it is very much an outlier compared to everything else I am running, yes I would blame the program. It is up to the project to support modern Linux infrastructure - and for the moment that is PulseAudio.

That being said, in the case of Wine, I do not even know if it is PA related at all. All I know is since my last update Wine's sound has been stuttering. Considering that whenever there has been a Wine problem in the past it was because of a regression or an unintended bug in Wine itself, I do not think it is that much of a stretch to assume the problem is with Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamikaze View Post
                      Switching from PA to ALSA and selecting the proper output (annoying as 4 HDMI audio devices were listed with same name) actually resolved the sound issue. Would you blame VLC for that too?
                      Yes, and very much so! VLC doesn't work with PulseAudio even more than Wine does. You could "fix" the sound problem by reverting to the old interrupt method in PulseAudio, but it's obviously VLC's fault for not supporting the new timer method. A whole lot better fix is to drop VLC and install KMPlayer or such. I have, and I am a lot happier now.

Comment

Working...
                      X