Intel GPU Driver Tries To Rip Out FBDEV Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robclark View Post
    But VT switch is essentially in userspace today. Or rather it depends on userspace for the hand-off from X. So it is already as unreliable as it's going to get.

*cough* thank you *cough*
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Interesting, any particular reason it doesnt work well with Gentoo? you've piqued my curiosity haha

Try it out. Last time I tried I experienced an insane amount of screen flickering, and the plymouth process would hang about three quarters through.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        http://dev.gentoo.org/~aidecoe/doc/en/plymouth.xml

Try it out. Last time I tried I experienced an insane amount of screen flickering, and the plymouth process would hang about three quarters through.
        I would but I don't keep a Gentoo installation around anymore, compiling the full kernel on my laptop alone takes an hour so I'm not jumping at compiling -everything-, every update.

Flickering was probably a kms issue... initramfs compiled with your driver module? Plymouth hanging could have just been a bug or a symptom of the kms flickering. Personally I'd just give it a fresh shot if you haven't recently and see how it works out-- from both stable and git see if either works.

Comment

I would but I don't keep a Gentoo installation around anymore, compiling the full kernel on my laptop alone takes an hour so I'm not jumping at compiling -everything-, every update.

Flickering was probably a kms issue... initramfs compiled with your driver module? Plymouth hanging could have just been a bug or a symptom of the kms flickering. Personally I'd just give it a fresh shot if you haven't recently and see how it works out-- from both stable and git see if either works.
          I don't know about Plymouth on Gentoo, but if your laptop takes an hour to build the kernel either you're doing it wrong or you have some truly pathetic hardware. On an AMD Neo @800 MHz (modprobe cpufreq_powersave, for thermal reasons), with a single thread (Debian Squeeze, GCC 4.4) I'm getting under 30 minutes. That is a custom config, but with make localmodconfig there's no reason not to make one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
            I don't know about Plymouth on Gentoo, but if your laptop takes an hour to build the kernel either you're doing it wrong or you have some truly pathetic hardware. On an AMD Neo @800 MHz (modprobe cpufreq_powersave, for thermal reasons), with a single thread (Debian Squeeze, GCC 4.4) I'm getting under 30 minutes. That is a custom config, but with make localmodconfig there's no reason not to make one.
            Sandy Bridge i5, dual core plus hyperthreading, clocked at ~1.6ghz i think (its a ULV model because its an ultrabook) 4Gbs of RAM, full upstream 3.9.5 kernel with the default fedora config, make -j4

Takes me about an hour. Open to suggestions (on Arch it would take me 90mins to 2hrs, same laptop)

Comment

Sandy Bridge i5, dual core plus hyperthreading, clocked at ~1.6ghz i think (its a ULV model because its an ultrabook) 4Gbs of RAM, full upstream 3.9.5 kernel with the default fedora config, make -j4

Takes me about an hour. Open to suggestions (on Arch it would take me 90mins to 2hrs, same laptop)
              That's insane. You don't have to compile everything. I just compile what I use and it takes literally like 5 minutes.

EDIT: actually 2m27s to be exact... If you consider that you have a dual core and mine is quad double that to roughly 5 minutes. Additionally my chip is 3.2ghz so double that again to 10minutes. I'm guessing that if you stripped the kernel config down to only what you use you could compile a kernel on your system in about 10 minutes.
              Last edited by duby229; 19 June 2013, 11:08 PM.

Comment

That's insane. You don't have to compile everything. I just compile what I use and it takes literally like 5 minutes.

full kernel recompile was the easiest thing to automate, personally all I really NEED is to recompile the Intel driver so that I can apply a patch after every kernel update but meh, I usually just let it run overnight
                Last edited by Ericg; 19 June 2013, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Just for my own curiosity I did a full compile of the kernel... make allyesconfig && time make -j4 bzImage modules.....real 25m24.944s

Comment

Just for my own curiosity I did a full compile of the kernel... make allyesconfig && time make -j4 bzImage modules.....real 25m24.944s
                    I'll wipe ccache's...cache and rerun a compile tomorrow and let ya know how long it took.

Now that i'm thinking about it, i wonder if running it yakuake affects its priority, hmmm..

Comment

ccache? I don't know where the user Gentoo wiki went, but there it was quite clearly shown that generally it's not a good idea to use it. For kernel compilation it should make even less sense, since the cache is already managed by make.

Comment

Working...
                      X