Dell/Alienware Introduce Linux Gaming PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
    And if you go to the two next page you will notice that that the 35W TDP CPU consume about 7.6W less then the next CPU under heavy load, the thing is that it take longer period of time to execute the benchmark test.
    Only total power consumption to complete same task in Watt-hours is important. Maximal power consumption doesn't matter.
    Last edited by JS987; 06 April 2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

"If you want to waste your power on heat production (which is what the TPD and the PSU efficiency represent) and cooling it down (which usually involve making noise), that fine with me."

TDP is not an indication of heat. Why is Ivy Bridge hotter than Sandy Bridge? Same for the PSU; if it overheats, you and your case really suck.

Comment

Price seams a nice bit below the windows variant: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          Only total power consumption in Watt-hours is important. Maximal power consumption doesn't matter.
          Then why did you point to energy needed for the idle and low load to counter the average power consumption ? Cause it make no sense considering you latest argument.

And remember that at the start start of all this I was speaking of power efficiency, not performance, has I was comparing a 55W TDP 2.7Ghz celeron, which to be about the intel product you can get for about $50 (since he was suggesting a pentium, but they start around $65), to a $75 35W TDP 2.6Ghz Pentium, which I think was more worth it if you were trying to save money, for a lowest end gaming PC, has it would more then likely consume both less energy while idle and under load.

The best really depend on whatever you spend most of system spend most of it time in idle/low load or in heavy load, which most home computer don't, including a gaming PC, has it most likely see it fair share internet, video and lot of game that are mostly GPU load not CPU. So I am mostly always gonna suggest the higher priced lower TPD CPU over the lower price higher TPD CPU of somewhat close performance, and if the guy got real money to invest, suggest undervolting the best cpu he can buy instead, if want to save power. (but that last case don't really apply when speaking of Celeron and Pentium =p)

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
            "If you want to waste your power on heat production (which is what the TPD and the PSU efficiency represent) and cooling it down (which usually involve making noise), that fine with me."

TDP is not an indication of heat. Why is Ivy Bridge hotter than Sandy Bridge? Same for the PSU; if it overheats, you and your case really suck.
            Never said indication of heat, I said it was power wasted on heat production. TDP is an indicating of power dissipation, you know what create power dissipation in a electrical circuit, a resistance, which dissipate power by creating heat . Want to see a device which duty is power dissipation, look no further then your toaster.
            Last edited by iniudan; 06 April 2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

From Alienware's site:
              With an available built-in firewall and virus protection, you can surf freely and safely with Ubuntu.
              Virus protection on Linux? What's that for? And does default Ubuntu actually include that?

With over 25 gaming titles available
              I'm pretty sure it's much over 25, unless they are not counting indie games.

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
              Actually a GTX 660 is perfect for Serious Sam 3, it let you go with ultra graphic and get a good 75 FPS at 1920x1080 and 60 FPS at 2560x1600, which are usually the target frame rate for more action based game, for thing to stay smooth and fluid, for most other type of game, I admit your fine with 30 FPS. (In good part why my 5670 endure, since mostly play strategy, I wish I had bought a 1024MB model instead of a 512MB, has the memory is mostly what bottleneck my GPU when I try to play the more graphically intensive title)
              Yeap, pretty much. I have a GTX 660 as well, and it just barely runs the latest beta of Expeditions: Conquistador fluidly. It's like 50 FPS on the overworld map while rotating the screen. It also doesn't handle the new Unigine Heaven: DOF Everywhere too well, with 32 FPS being the average.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                Price seams a nice bit below the windows variant: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd
                Yes and no...

What's good is that, for once, we can compare real prices, and compute the price of Windows pre-installed.

But then, as usual, it is a scam (for high end machines)

1st configuration : Ubuntu is 100$ less
                2nd configuration : Ubuntu is 50$ less due to the "savings" on the Windows model
                3rd and 4th Ubuntu configuration don't have the equivalent Windows configuration.

But we can see that the 3rd configuration for Windows is the same as the 4th Ubuntu config, but with a 2TB disk instead of a 1TB, and at the same price due to "savings" -200$- again on the Windows config.

So, scam again... because if you need that 4th Ubuntu config and have 1049$ to spend, you'd better buy the Windows version and remove the useless O.S. (or get it refund if your country laws allows -France for ex.-) because you get an extra 1TB of disk for free.

As already said above, good gesture from Dell, but we expect better... or should we from an enterprise that accepted a big "loan" from Microsoft?

P.S.: note that all these Windows config are advertised with Windows 7. Glad to see how W8 is successful!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  From Alienware's site:

Virus protection on Linux? What's that for? And does default Ubuntu actually include that?
                  Well, they do need to address existing concerns of customers who will be buying that, namely the Windows bunch. It's real worry on Windows, so naturally people would be asking "and what about a firewall / virus protection?". Since it's handled for them in Ubuntu, they can mention it is "included". Otherwise, you'd get a ton of people asking the same question...

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                    Well, they do need to address existing concerns of customers who will be buying that, namely the Windows bunch. It's real worry on Windows, so naturally people would be asking "and what about a firewall / virus protection?". Since it's handled for them in Ubuntu, they can mention it is "included". Otherwise, you'd get a ton of people asking the same question...
                    Mentioning that "it's not even needed in the first place" would have an even better effect...

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                      Only total power consumption to complete same task in Watt-hours is important. Maximal power consumption doesn't matter.
                      No.

Only total power consumption in a given time frame while completing a the same number of tasks is important. You don't shut down your computer as soon as it is idle... That's true for desktop (PC is on while you are in front of it, doesn't matter what percentage of the time it is running at 100% CPU) and for server (obviously up all the time).
                      And if you do the maths in the article, the lower TPD versions all beat the others in total wattage when counting that way.

The way they count in the silent PC article is completely retarded.

Note: contrary to these, arm processors have almost 0W idle, so it's different for them

Comment

Working...
                      X