AMD Radeon Performance Preview On Linux 3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    IMHO, these tests should start not only to be tested with discrete video cards but also with APUs like the A8-5500, A8-5600K, A10-5700 and A10-5800K...
    I second that request. btw trying out this new code [drm next tree + mesa git + hyperz patches for drm/mesa] resulted in several system hangs for me on E-350 [HD 6310] playing Ufo-AI. reverting to regular 3.7 kernal brought situation back to normal.

Comment

On my AMD E350 (Radeon HD 6310) even youtube in 720p doesn't play well (aka unusable), so I would this area to be improved.

Comment

Originally posted by arekm View Post
        On my AMD E350 (Radeon HD 6310) even youtube in 720p doesn't play well (aka unusable), so I would this area to be improved.
        The problem here would be that it has nothing to do with your graphic card. Flash/html5 are both CPU bound with radeon at the moment AFAIK.

But great news seeing all this coming in the 3.8 kernel! really looking forward to it.

Serafean

Comment

Smokin' Guns' ten-fold increase is something to go after.

Why did Smokin' Guns benefit from the new drivers?

Very intriguing.

Comment

Youtube

Originally posted by arekm View Post
            If I watch a youtube video as flash in fullscreen (1920x1080), my laptop goes nuts with the open radeon driver. If I use html5, the CPU uses somewhat 20%.

For the open driver, the best is to prefer html5 videos:

click 'join the html5 trial' and you get the html5 player if available for the video. I watched nearly all episodes of 'Sledge Hammer!' yesterday in fullscreen on an AMD C-50 netbook with the html5 player (ok, only 1366?768).

Comment

Radeon driver benchmarks are useless; everyone KNOWS that they are gaining ground against fglrx.

Where are the latest RadeonSI benchmarks? Performance so bad that nobody wants to talk about it and thus conveniently pretend that they don't exist?

Comment

Video Playback

I want to preface this by saying I love the site and I appreciate the work you guys do.

But in my biased opinion, all of these graphics benchmarks would be far more valuable if you could include video playback benchmarks. Specifically, I would be very interested to see CPU utilization while playing high definition video.

This is by far the most interesting metric for me. It is also an area where I have seen the greatest inconsistency across drivers, kernels, and video players.

4 years ago, I had my 5050e with an on board radeon 3000 playing high def flawlessly at about 75% cpu usage. Today I am struggling to get my C2D 6850 with my radeon 6850 to play high def smoothly.

Along these lines, I would be curious to know people opinion on the best video player/driver to use to achieve GPU offload on an AMD graphics card.

Comment

benefits

What are the real benefits ofr HD3850 AGP videocards having opnegl 2.0? I think that legacy hardware will be penalized by this new kernel and new open drivers. Inthe first bench appear that 3.7 kernel offers better performace about hd4770 how is it possible?

Comment

Working...
                  X