Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy New Year! A Big Linux GPU Comparison!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy New Year! A Big Linux GPU Comparison!

Phoronix: Happy New Year! A Big Linux GPU Comparison!

To all Phoronix readers, have a happy and prosperous new year! Prosit Neujahr! Godt Nytt ??r! Here's how to celebrate the new year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Happy New Year to you, too, Michael.

As for your question at the very end, I think that the "year of the Linux gaming desktop" will be somewhat of a catalyst for driving the critical mass adoption that is necessary for a takeover of the more sprawling desktop market. That's because most Windows-based home computers are used, at some point or another, for entertainment, and interactive games are a popular source of said entertainment. Most people are unwilling to give up any portion of the software they run in order to switch to a new OS, even if there are very noticeable benefits in other areas, such as stability, security, freedom, and price, and even if they fully appreciate those benefits. With the gaming piece of the pie slotting itself into Linux, there will be less need to run Windows for a lot of people. Steam is an important piece of the puzzle, but not the only piece; the combination of S2Games, Unigine, HIB 1&2 and the Source engine games will hopefully accrue enough highly-visible precedent to attract even more top-tier PC game developers to release for Linux as well.

Not sure if 2011 is the year, but it should certainly get us most of the way there, I hope.

Comment

I agree with quix.
      Gaming is something of a last frontier for linux.
      You hear it all the time on forums:"I dual-boot for games"
      Once steam is released, I think there will be a marked up-tick in linux fervor.

Comment

"As mentioned already, 2011 will bring changes to Phoronix..."

as in you WILL finally get around to resetting the phoronix edit time to a reasonable (hours+)limit (or even setting it to unlimited :seeing as we actually own our own copyright text and so have the right to edit/delete our own word as we please at any time) Before you abandon ship to board the good ship HMS OpenBenchmarking.org

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
          I agree with quix.
          Gaming is something of a last frontier for linux.
          You hear it all the time on forums:"I dual-boot for games"
          Once steam is released, I think there will be a marked up-tick in linux fervor.
          I sure hope they'll release or atleast announce something soon.

But I don't think we should forget Phoenix Engine (Wolfire team) and UniGine, they are doing some great things for Linux gaming as well!

Comment

Perhaps we would see Adobe Creative Suite for Linux this year as well?
            An Adobe employee has urged Linux users wanting native Creative Suite applications for their OS to submit a 'Feature request directly' to the company's engineering team.

Comment

Steam for Linux is going to be _the_ subject of the year.

Also the transition to GNOME 3 etc.

Comment

...no worries, I'll see that I stay in my editorial role at Phoronix until at least this event is announced (Steam)
                Does that mean you'll stay in your editorial role forever? Just kidding...

That huge GPU article sounds interesting. Maybe this time it will be so indepth that no one is going to complaint about something missing.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  no one is going to complaint
                  Won't happen.

Comment

The title should have been 'happy gnu year.'

Comment

Working...
                    X