Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Graphics: Linux v. Solaris

Phoronix: NVIDIA Graphics: Linux v. Solaris

At Phoronix we are constantly exploring the different display drivers under Linux, and while we have reviewed Sun's Check Tool and test motherboards with Solaris in addition to covering a few other areas, we have yet to perform a graphics driver comparison between Linux and Solaris. That is until today. With interest in Solaris on the rise thanks to Project Indiana, we have decided to finally offer our first quantitative graphics comparison between Linux and Solaris with the NVIDIA proprietary drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It should be very interesting to see the performance of Linux binaries running under Open Solaris' Linux container vs. native Solaris/Linux binaries running under their respective hosts. (Is it even possible to run OpenGL applications under Open Solaris' Linux containers?)

- Gilboa
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Probably be like running windows apps under wine

I would think so, if some windows apps like WoW can run better via wine+opengl on linux than on windows i'd imagine that they would be able to, especially seeing as how the linux api's are open source. Haven't been able to find anything official on whether the containers will or wont though.

Comment

Solaris NVIDIA vs. Linux

I outlined my experience installing the latest Nvidia (and other) drivers on my notebook (Presario V6000) under Solaris 05/07.

Even when comparing driver installation against a "common" Linux distribution (SuSE, Fedora) where modules are prebuilt, sources and headers are installed, etc., installing on Solaris is dead simple.

Install, reconfig reboot, voila.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
          It should be very interesting to see the performance of Linux binaries running under Open Solaris' Linux container vs. native Solaris/Linux binaries running under their respective hosts. (Is it even possible to run OpenGL applications under Open Solaris' Linux containers?)

- Gilboa
          I just got off the phone with Sun where we talked about BrandZ extensively in the latest Solaris 10 update and running Linux OpenGL applications unmodified on Linux should work now or it will be working shortly... They are aware of the need.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            I just got off the phone with Sun where we talked about BrandZ extensively in the latest Solaris 10 update and running Linux OpenGL applications unmodified on Linux should work now or it will be working shortly... They are aware of the need.
            OK. Thanks.
            .... BTW, do you have any idea if 32bit Linux binaries are even supported under 64bit Solaris/BrandZ?

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
              OK. Thanks.
              .... BTW, do you have any idea if 32bit Linux binaries are even supported under 64bit Solaris/BrandZ?

- Gilboa
              I believe so but am not positive.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X