Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Gets Big Changes, Features In Linux 3.14 Kernel

Phoronix: Btrfs Gets Big Changes, Features In Linux 3.14 Kernel

While the EXT4 changes and XFS alterations for the Linux 3.14 kernel weren't too exciting, the Btrfs file-system update was submitted today for Linux 3.14 and it's definitely exciting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if making use of immutable biovars is in this pull or not...

Comment

still no lz4 support

Comment

I haven't had my btrfs volume balancing for a few days now, because of some kernel bug that should see patches in an early 1.13 release.

Hoping I can last that long, I backed up the disc already.

Comment

This pull request has sysfs additions and doesn't come with the mandatory Documentation/ABI entries?
          Or user-friendly documentation for that matter?
          For shame.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
            still no lz4 support
            As far as I know, no one is actually working on this right now. It doesn't seem as though there is anyone who is interested enough in this at the moment, as there continues to be lots going on in btrfs development.

Comment

Is there or will there be an effort to make ensure that BTRFS is as fast as or faster than EXT4? I know BTRFS is all about features rather than performance, but the average home user doesn't need all of those advanced features. For me, faster makes a less painful time redoing my operating system and transfering all of my files every 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                Is there or will there be an effort to make ensure that BTRFS is as fast as or faster than EXT4? I know BTRFS is all about features rather than performance, but the average home user doesn't need all of those advanced features. For me, faster makes a less painful time redoing my operating system and transfering all of my files every 6 months.
                they're both pretty fast for most purposes, and pretty slow for things like maildir mailboxes.

Comment

If you have an ssd use f2fs. That seems to be pretty much the fastest one around. Well, maybe not for db, or heavily queued work.

Comment

Checksum file integrity, transparent compression, and cow snapshots are features I couldn't live without.

Comment

Working...
                    X