Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    One of those alternatives that I know works for sure is Windows 7.
    That is your problem, but remember it was your fault for failing to switch to lubuntu when unity came along. Don't blame it on the OS, blaming Canonical/Shuttleworth is ok, since they forced Unity which caused your issues, not linux.

BTW: Phoronix is a linux oriented site, you might as well start migrating forums. What is the point of coming here to repeat "linux sucks" and failing to realize your own mistakes? Just stay in your windows world.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      I hear alot of install lubuntu or kubuntu. Why not install Ubuntu and if you don't like unity add kde desktop and xfce desktop? Isn't it the same thing?
      Well that will make you keep a lot of redundant software (and lots of unnecessary stuff), but if its just about trying desktops in an already installed system you can't possibly reinstall from scratch, sure you could just apt-get install lubuntu-desktop or similar (that will pull about the same amount of data as the lubuntu iso).

I do however recommend a clean lubuntu install, just to avoid having all that excess fat.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
        They really should implement wine-technique to "force" the games on Linux.

Even games like ARMA2 run on Linux even with the open-source drivers but STEAM must understand that people want THE STEAM VERSION WITH WINE TECHNIQUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All other ways are BULLSHIT!

NATIVE IS COOL BUT ONLY IF ITS POSSIBLE:
        Valve does know when people use steam from wine, if thats your concern. They just won't say how many and are probably counted in the windows group.

Native games are welcome. I'm only buying Linux games now, if there is nothing good then I'll just wait. I have purchased a few games which are pretty time consuming (such as Crusader Kings II) so I'm not exactly desperate.

I mentioned "linux" generically as a "platform" of sorts, i do know Linux is just the name of the kernel which targets many architectures. In reality we are talking about x86 linux, maybe arm will also become important soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
          You are getting this because you have the wrong attitude. You HAVE to buy hardware that works with your software, not the other way around, else you are chained to a single vendor (ie. Microsoft) and always hope for the best. Wi-fi issues are usually a sign of ndiswrapper and friends, or low quality blobs (proprietary code load at run time).

When a hardware misbehaves in Linux, it means the manufacturer did not care, and often did not support the use of that hardware with alternative OSes. If you buy blindly, you are supporting this attitude. What you must do, is purchase from manufacturers who DO care about your preferred OS. The fact in linux is that nvidia is proprietary crap that works, whereas Amd fails, and intel is open and getting there.

Open source drivers are not crap, it is what they have achieved without help from the manufacturer (often disobeying their rules). The minimal 2d support is usually there because some people wanted to use their server with embedded hardware without risking using unaudited blobs that pose both security and reliability risks.
          I would buy hardware based on what i get in the store, based on it's price for performance and based on the overall quality. I refuse to give up to 150$ more for nvidia based laptop, which would be slower...
          The os is obligated to make my hardware works... if the os can't do this, then it's no good! - Afterall this is the purpose of the os!

Second of all, my wi-fi driver is rt2800usb and rt2800pci, both adapters work awful, there was once a proprietary blob, which didn't had the N standart support, but was perfect in every other way !
          The driver for the onboard card reader is awfull too...
          ACPI support is a total crap on my Lenovo laptop...
          fglrx is working, just to show it can work... (radeon 6370 1GB) games lag and the performance is overal around 2-3 times less than i windows ( xorg and amd fault ! ) And wayland is nowhere near ready, so does Mir... I can't even play the old CS:Source, because of the constant laggs, which is a major problem... And i refuse to play with my intel HD3000 card, just because it's too weak and the driver is still slower than in windows, so still not playable...
          My mouse special functions can't be used only on linux (strange, works with mac : ) ) Linux mouse driver has a acceleration problem...(A4tech mouse)
          Synaptics touchpad is not easylly configurable...
          Up until kernel 3.5 my onboard connexant audio had problems, like not detecting onboard microphone... so you had to mannyally edit driver options and to make it think, your laptop is Asus, insted of lenovo, just to detect the mic... which would be madness for a new user, even the old users like me...

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
            Valve does know when people use steam from wine, if thats your concern. They just won't say how many and are probably counted in the windows group.

Native games are welcome. I'm only buying Linux games now, if there is nothing good then I'll just wait. I have purchased a few games which are pretty time consuming (such as Crusader Kings II) so I'm not exactly desperate.

I mentioned "linux" generically as a "platform" of sorts, i do know Linux is just the name of the kernel which targets many architectures. In reality we are talking about x86 linux, maybe arm will also become important soon.
            No that's not my concern I mean the LINUX-CLIND should use wine to "FORCE" games on the Linux platform and not the way the people go with the Windows-Clind running in Wine to Fix the understanding problem of "Valve".

In the end the people need install steam 2 times 1 time nativ-linux and 1 time in wine only to fix the brain damage of valve.

I do not write it in a "Fun" or "nice" way because its not funny and not nice?!

The people don't care about valve schizophrenic politic to force the people to install steam 2 times on there Linux pc... the people just want to install steam 1 time and then the game should run AND EVEN THE WINDOWS ONLY GAMES SHOULD RUN.

Comment

AND EVEN THE WINDOWS ONLY GAMES SHOULD RUN.
              And then you'd have everyone reporting WINE bugs to Valve. That's why they won't ever do that.

If you are comfortable working through wine issues, you are free to install Steam on it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                And then you'd have everyone reporting WINE bugs to Valve. That's why they won't ever do that.

If you are comfortable working through wine issues, you are free to install Steam on it yourself.
                OK you WON a good idea is bad only because people use it and report bugs.. ok you are right...

I stop writing here now its pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                  If you ever get the itch to play them again for whatever reason you could just use dhewm3 or ioquake3 with native 64-bit support.
                  Thanks Hamish! I made dhewm3 tonight's project... got, compiled, it works (smooth! vsync seems to be working correctly, unlike the last time I played doom3 in Linux), and I'm happy.

I still had my old doom3 directory on an old hard drive so I had the .pk4 data files. Finding the box for the license key, on the other hand, proved impossible. Luckily I still had my key files on the old hard drive in ~/.doom3 to drop in after .config/dhewm3/base got created. Some edits to the config file gets it working at 1920x1080 and I'm all set.

Comment

OK you WON a good idea is bad only because people use it and report bugs.. ok you are right...

I stop writing here now its pointless.
                    But here's the thing - people are going to buy games meant for Windows and run it in your WINE environment. And it will break. And then a lot of people would get really upset about how crappy Valve is, and they suck at linux, and they might even sue Valve to get their money back. Because they spent a bunch of money on stuff that doesn't even work.

And they'd probably be right to get upset.

I could maybe see an option, carefully labelled as unsupported, that people could manually apply. But it's not ever going to just happen automatically by default.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for admitting i'm right. You'd be surprised how often people fail to understand my genius.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 03 May 2013, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Lol, why linux users just cant admit, that their os will never be equal to windows in terms of user expeirence, performance and gaming ? Why you always have to blame other stuff, like hardware ? And linux is open source, you know, so why dont you go and develop drivers yourself ? Why do even need linux to be open source, if you cant do shit with it ?

Comment

Working...
                      X