Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 3.1 Kernel May Have A New Logo

Phoronix: The Linux 3.1 Kernel May Have A New Logo

Back in 2009 the Linux mascot, Tux, was temporarily replaced by Tuz. Tuz was a Tasmanian Devil character and the use of the logo was used to promote this endangered animal that's nearly extinct in Australia. Tuz replaced Tux in the Linux 2.6.29 kernel, but with Linux 2.6.30 there was the return of Tux. Now with the Linux 3.1 kernel that's a proposal (RFC) for a new Linux kernel logo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL I'm looking for the .1 release aka 3.1.1 ...

Comment

Not mockery, a tribute.

Comment

From LKML.

You're welcome to provide a screenshot on a 32-core or 64-core system.

Comment

Hilarious LOL !

Comment

Yeah, poking fun at MS with a logo that gets overwritten/corrupted by scrolling text. Quite the opposite, I'd say. The vanilla kernel can't even manage non-bugged, non-crappy logo graphics.

How ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
              Not mockery, a tribute.
              Agreed... I see nothing negative in this reference to a classic old os.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Yeah, poking fun at MS with a logo that gets overwritten/corrupted by scrolling text. Quite the opposite, I'd say. The vanilla kernel can't even manage non-bugged, non-crappy logo graphics.

How ironic.
                It probably could manage, but it's not really worth it because it's the text boot screen. Plymouth has nicer graphics using the same mechanisms.

Comment

It's a dangerous game (this logo bears too much resemblance with the original Windows 3.1 logo), Linus understands it perfectly, so don't expect it to be included.

Comment

Linus already said he'd consider naming 3.11 Linux for Workgroups. That should be safer than including this pic.

On the FB corruption, last I had that was with a 2.4 kernel. *shudders*.

Comment

Working...
                    X