No announcement yet.

The First Benchmarks Of Unity On XMir: There's A Performance Hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, even Unity will lose performance when running on XMir vs. running on straight Xorg - and Mir was built for Unity. Why should any other distro use XMir again?

(also, it's cute how the fanbois are already making excuses... "it's still early days!" "it's not that bad a hit, only 10%!" well, when that 10% hit brings no additional benefit, what reason is there to take that hit...)

Comment

Also want to see XWayland for comparison, it should give a good indication of the comparative state of the two technologies. I suspect the fundamental techniques used in both are quite similar so I wouldn't expect there to be a significant performance difference between the two, at least not in the long run. I'd also be interested to see how gnome/kde run under XMir.

For X vs Mir vs Wayland it seems that anything QT based would be a good start since there's both QTMir and QTWayland backends (though i don't know what state the wayland one is in these days), and soon enough there should KDE on wayland to do a Unity8 vs KDE comparison (although that said i doubt many people are going to make their DE choice based on raw performance numbers).

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        So, even Unity will lose performance when running on XMir vs. running on straight Xorg - and Mir was built for Unity. Why should any other distro use XMir again?

(also, it's cute how the fanbois are already making excuses... "it's still early days!" "it's not that bad a hit, only 10%!" well, when that 10% hit brings no additional benefit, what reason is there to take that hit...)
        Well considering this is a first release, saying "its early days" is entirely reasonable - ubuntu 13.10 is still in alpha. If performance is poor in the final release then you have a problem.

As for "no additional benefit" Canonical were very clear on why they're pushing it - to get Mir out to people so it can be tested in real conditions and improved, which benefits Ubuntu generally. They've also been very clear that if you want the best performance and stability, use the LTS versions - so if you don't want to take the risk of performance regressions you don't have to. Of course if they haven't got it sorted out by the next LTS then that's a valid criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by mangecoeur View Post
          Also want to see XWayland for comparison, it should give a good indication of the comparative state of the two technologies. I suspect the fundamental techniques used in both are quite similar so I wouldn't expect there to be a significant performance difference between the two, at least not in the long run. I'd also be interested to see how gnome/kde run under XMir.

For X vs Mir vs Wayland it seems that anything QT based would be a good start since there's both QTMir and QTWayland backends (though i don't know what state the wayland one is in these days), and soon enough there should KDE on wayland to do a Unity8 vs KDE comparison (although that said i doubt many people are going to make their DE choice based on raw performance numbers).
          The comparaison xWayland vs xMir can be intersting but the comparaison xMir vs futur xMir too.

Comment

You misunderstand. Unity will run on Mir. XMir is a compatibility layer that will be used to run old X11 applications that aren't written using a modern toolkit.

Applications running under XWayland will also have a performance hit. It is impossible to have a compatibility layer without a performance hit.

Comment

Unity will run on Mir, not XMir. XMir is for running legacy X applications and for the purpose of this test runs Unity, because Unity has yet to complete it's porting to Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                You misunderstand. Unity will run on Mir. XMir is a compatibility layer that will be used to run old X11 applications that aren't written using a modern toolkit.
                Yes and Unity in 13.10 will run on XMir not Mir. So Unity will also be slower than just running on a regular X Server.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  Yeah, which is why it makes no sense to run a whole DE on top of it. When you run a X-based DE on top of XMir, it gives no benefit whatsoever. You can't run Mir apps on it, you can't run Wayland apps on it.

Applications running under XWayland will also have a performance hit. It is impossible to have a compatibility layer without a performance hit.
                  Prove it.

Comment

Considering I've been playing with XWayland since late 2012, why haven't XWayland tests been brought forth?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      Yes and Unity in 13.10 will run on XMir not Mir. So Unity will also be slower than just running on a regular X Server.
                      Again, wrong. No plans for Mir migration until 14.04 at the earliest.

Comment

Working...
                      X