Humble Indie Bundle V Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I'll buy only if it's open source, else not.

Paying for proprietary software?
    You got to be fucking kidding me.
    So don't buy it?
    Why do you feel the need to go on with your tired rhetoric? You're worse than the people on forums who say "lol just use windows!!!!!!111"

Comment

Hmm... I was just about to pull the trigger on this bundle, primarily for Limbo and Bastion. But now that I read that Limbo is Wine'd up, I dunno. Sounds sketchy. Don't like Wine on my system either. I could just buy it on Windows I guess.

Limbo is weird... It runs on OS X and iOS but not on Linux / Android. Is writing cross-platform software really that hard? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Edit: oops, my bad... Limbo is not available on iOS (yet).
      Last edited by johnc; 04 June 2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Hmm... I was just about to pull the trigger on this bundle, primarily for Limbo and Bastion. But now that I read that Limbo is Wine'd up, I dunno. Sounds sketchy. Don't like Wine on my system either. I could just buy it on Windows I guess.

Limbo is weird... It runs on OS X and iOS but not on Linux / Android. Is writing cross-platform software really that hard? (That's a rhetorical question.)

Edit: oops, my bad... Limbo is not available on iOS (yet).
        Limbo is NOT simply "Wine'd up". It is distributed as a standalone Crossover bottle. It integrates perfectly with system. I believe all possible code was ported - just the audio middleware really utilizes the wine libs. Someone said that because of that the whole audio should rewritten to fit native LInux. However, if the game heavily relies on audio as part of gameplay, it is not that easy to do! It so happens that Limbo contains clues written in music, so it has to run perfectly for the game to be playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
          Limbo is NOT simply "Wine'd up". It is distributed as a standalone Crossover bottle. It integrates perfectly with system. I believe all possible code was ported - just the audio middleware really utilizes the wine libs. Someone said that because of that the whole audio should rewritten to fit native LInux. However, if the game heavily relies on audio as part of gameplay, it is not that easy to do! It so happens that Limbo contains clues written in music, so it has to run perfectly for the game to be playable.
          Ahh, thanks for the clarification. I guess if it runs reliably and without any performance regressions then it's still worth getting the Linux version, especially if I don't have to install any third-party stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
            It integrates perfectly with system.
            No it doesn't. When it doesn't like your graphics driver, it talks gibberish about shader models, in a windows styled error box.

Comment

Originally posted by KameZero View Post
              So don't buy it?
              Why do you feel the need to go on with your tired rhetoric? You're worse than the people on forums who say "lol just use windows!!!!!!111"
              To show that there are people who are willing to pay if its open source.
              If they would open source, I would buy it 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                To show that there are people who are willing to pay if its open source.
                If they would open source, I would buy it 100%.
                So email the games devs? Phoronix users don't really have any control over the source code of the hib games.

Comment

Next petition is up.

It's getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    Well, that is merely a runtime, so it does qualify as being native I guess. But Flash games are completely different kettle of fish that afflicts us all...
                    How is winelib not just a runtime but flash is?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      How is winelib not just a runtime but flash is?
                      I agree it is a bit of a tenuous distinction (especially with the quality of Flash on Linux), but at least with Flash you are writing to Flash and not Windows. In this case, they are writing to Windows instead of Linux and paring a translator with it in the hopes you would not notice. It would be like if you bought a book in Spanish that promised English support because for the price of the book they got some Spanish guy to follow you around and read the book out to you. It is all kind of awkward.

Comment

Working...
                      X