Adblock Plus betraying its users with so-called Acceptable Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    and you think that reading and posting in a forum does not create costs? Are you living in happy-dream-land? Is the sugar plum fairy dancing on your bed?

You have no moral stance to complain. In fact, everybody else has good reasons to tell you and people like you:

you are parasites killing free content.

You are the cancer that kills the internet.

Congratulations.
    Once again, the Internet existed long before people got the idea of advertising on websites. Advertising does not provide life to the Internet, it provides life to the corporate entities which utilize the internet.

Should these forums go away, as well as every other HTTP based forum, the Internet would simply revert to NNTP discussions, on servers either hosted by your ISP (of which you have already paid for in your monthly fee) or on a third party server that may charge you for an account. The Internet will not die, the corporate (ab)use of the Internet would die.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I don't even have a couch... I spend all my extra time working or in other productive ways.
      Why don't you work something out where....

The ads show products that the typical visitor of your site might click through and buy something from. I doubt most people here want to pay for a $2,000 Windows Server license when they came to get news about Linux.

The ads are not 5634523453e1 by 13423523456346567775477e3

The ads are not in Adobe Trash. If I remove Flash, am I stealing from you? Do tell.

I'd be somewhat more sympathetic towards your argument if those conditions were met.

Comment

This is kinda real funny...
        Why can't people get that there are people which simply don't want to see ads at all, it distracts...
        Energyman, for instance, it tells the same a lot of times and there is smth that I can agree on, I mean - yes, site is generating costs, everything is generating costs, it's the fact of life, but that doesn't oblige me to turn off the stupid adblock for whatever reason I turned it on, what the hell. Calling them parasites is utterly stupid. How much of linux users pay for linux kernel development, a? Gnome? Epiphany? Netowkrmanager? Networkamangement plasmoid, a? Xorg, Evolution, pidgin, samba, ... Want me to go on? So please don't drive into that "gray zone", everyone is using smth at expense of smth else, most likely they don't contribute to it in any way!

Site owner decides what to do to maintain the site, put on paywall, detect adblock and don't show content, put in some other smart technique, whatever. If someone feels this is what he'd contribute to, he's free to contribute (money, no adblock, whatever) others just use it the way it can be used. Free content is FREE content, FREEWARE is FREEWARE, use as You can/want/whatever. PERIOD.

There are a lot of people around who doesn't know what adblock is or so, bad for them, I know it, there are a lot of people smart enough to separate content they want to see and what not. I will do it until the day I won't be able OR I would like to support that in some way.

P.S. I have turned adblock off for this site just because I saw this post and have no reasons to turn it on again, but hey in general, I won't turn it off because I just don't want to see ADS, simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirurgs View Post
          This is kinda real funny...
          Why can't people get that there are people which simply don't want to see ads at all, it distracts...
          Energyman, for instance, it tells the same a lot of times and there is smth that I can agree on, I mean - yes, site is generating costs, everything is generating costs, it's the fact of life, but that doesn't oblige me to turn off the stupid adblock for whatever reason I turned it on, what the hell. Calling them parasites is utterly stupid. How much of linux users pay for linux kernel development, a? Gnome? Epiphany? Netowkrmanager? Networkamangement plasmoid, a? Xorg, Evolution, pidgin, samba, ... Want me to go on? So please don't drive into that "gray zone", everyone is using smth at expense of smth else, most likely they don't contribute to it in any way!

Site owner decides what to do to maintain the site, put on paywall, detect adblock and don't show content, put in some other smart technique, whatever. If someone feels this is what he'd contribute to, he's free to contribute (money, no adblock, whatever) others just use it the way it can be used. Free content is FREE content, FREEWARE is FREEWARE, use as You can/want/whatever. PERIOD.

There are a lot of people around who doesn't know what adblock is or so, bad for them, I know it, there are a lot of people smart enough to separate content they want to see and what not. I will do it until the day I won't be able OR I would like to support that in some way.

P.S. I have turned adblock off for this site just because I saw this post and have no reasons to turn it on again, but hey in general, I won't turn it off because I just don't want to see ADS, simple.

If you:

Detect Adblock with a script, adblock user will block your script. This costs you more bandwidth because they have to reload pages that don't work right until they find and block the right script.

Put up a paywall, 98% of your users will likely leave and then the 2% that came for all the user generated content that has vanished will follow them shortly.

Accept that some users will block ads and there's nothing you can do to stop it without destroying your site, then you will always have at least a few users who come here that don't bother blocking ads that are drawn in, at least in part, by user generated content being produced by all the "parasites".

You attack adblock users it doesn't work, you put up a paywall and you throw the baby out with the bathwater, you accept that people blocking your ads wouldn't have bought anything anyway, life goes on.

You could take Michael's argument to the logical extreme. Anyone who views this site without buying something from clicking through an ad (which pays him nothing if you don't) is "stealing", but that just shows how absurd he is being.

Lets apply the situation to a real world example.

I don't like the police. The police siphon a disproportionate amount of my tax money for how much "good" they do for the community, and usually actively harass me or at the very least don't do anything that benefits me. I tolerate them because they're not going away and if they did, there would be anarchy which is slightly worse.
          Last edited by DaemonFC; 14 December 2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
            ...clicking through an ad (which pays him nothing if you don't)...
            That's very incorrect. For US traffic and certain EU countries I'm paid on an impression basis.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

After reading this thread, I've decided to turn off my adblock for Phoronix.com

While I don't like ads, I do enjoy reading Phoronix. Even though I rarely click on ads, if this site benefits from Ad impressions, then I feel that I can at least do that to help contribute to this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                That's very incorrect. For US traffic and certain EU countries I'm paid on an impression basis.
                So is uninstalling Flash "stealing" from you? I believe I've asked this once already.

Anti-adblock site owners sound more like the RIAA than people.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                  So is uninstalling Flash "stealing" from you?
                  No, in that case you are still served text ads...
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

analagy

Imagine you own a store, people walk in, don't buy anything, then walk out. Do you ban them from ever coming in again? Do you make it so anyone walking in the store has to buy something? Or do you let them walk around and keep coming in, hoping that they buy something eventually? I know what I would choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      lol i really should uninstall my flash plugin.
                      We all should. *sigh*

I used to turn it off because all Flash did was display annoying ads.

Then someone got the idea to use it as a video player so you had to deal with it in some contexts.

Comment

Working...
                      X